Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat wiring diagram help needed.

Does anyone have a good diagram of the charging circuit for a Brat? The fuse that ties to the L lead of the alternator has no voltage on it. The lead that appears to be damaged may be black, we need to know how it ties to power.

I don't have a good diagram, just the 6-page one in my Haynes, and that is for an 82-83 EA81. But...

It looks like the "L" connector just supplies a signal to the charge light on the dash, and the 5amp fuse is there just to protect the rest of the wiring in case the alternator electrically handgrenades. In other words, there is no "power" supplied by the fuse.

IIRC, and this is based on decades-old knowledge of GM Delco alts, the charge-lamp wire/terminal connects to the center of the stator-"Y", and receives an alternating voltage (or at least varying DC) that is rectified externally to produce something resembling DC voltage which is used to buck the battery voltage. If this voltage is not present then the battery voltage flows through the lamp and lights it.

I just found a test schematic in a Chilton's (Blech!) that seems to support my basic info (L goes just to lamp, fuse is unpowered except by L terminal).

Good luck!

Hi This is Jerry, if this is a gen 1 brat well then you need to look under the glove box. There is 2 or 3 fuses there and 1 of them is the charging light power. It is a 5 amp fuse, i found it by luck. Hopes this helps you. Thanks Jerry

Thanks for the replies fellas. We will look for the fuses and link, though the fuse for the charging lamp circuit is the only one that has a low voltage problem.

The simpified way this circuit works for the '88 model GL is; power is supplied through fuse #12 and passes on through to the warning lights. It then goes through fuse #9 and then to the L terminal on the alternator. The power excites the alternator field to create the output for the battery.

There is a break somewhere in the wiring between the supply power and the warning light so the exciter is not getting any voltage.

NorthWet:

Since you have a diagram can you tell me exactly where the wire path goes after it gets past the warning light?

hi everyone, I am the guy with the actual problem

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36830&page=1&pp=10

northwets diagram is the same one I have, a 6 page for a u.s. 82/83 out of a haynes manual

I have already checked my fusable links, they are all good

sorry jerry, this is a 1984 brat, gen 2.

the "charge" for mine is a 10 amp, not a 5 like in the diagram