Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help me whit my Subaru GL10 Turbo with EA82

Hello, my name is Hugo Polar I´m firefighter from Lima - Peru Southamerica. here I have a 8 years a Subaru Loyale GL10 1986, automatic transmission. Well my proble strat when i buy this SW, i don´t know but the last user put out the turbo, i buy and the problem is the car use fuel injection adn the fuel eat is great, my car give 17 km per gallon of 90 octanes gasoline.

I need informacion if is posible change the fuel injection sistem for a carbureator, using the same admission multiple and change the distributor (the actual is electronic )

sorry for my english but I dont practice much. My languaje original is spanish.

Please help me and thanks to all for the information.

Your English is better than my Spanish. The turbo was removed, no turbo? Better to keep Fuel Injection, and fix problems. You probably have bad sensors, and we can help you find and replace them. 17Km/Gal is very bad, should be 33-55Km/Gal. Give examples of when engine power is bad or "rough" and when it is good. Say if engine is cold or warm, slow or fast.

Welcome to USMB!

hi, welcome.

first, does your car have the turbocharger on it, or is the turbocharger missing? or is the turbocharger damaged?

please tell us if the exhaust on the underside of the engine wraps around the front of the engine, or if it is shaped like the letter Y, with none in the front.

if someone took off the turbo and put on a non-turbo exhaust, then the car would have weak power. how does it drive?

hola amigo, que tal? pues no creo que los aqui te entienden tu problema exactamente. si necesitas pues puedo traducirlo a ti? pues por ejemplo, como corre el coche. quieres a quitar el fuel injection por un carburator? si haces eso creo que el turbo no sierve muy bien.

Hello and thanks for respond me, first the tur¡bo was removed and i contect the ( may be the name is pipeline escape of gas ) directly. I remove the O2 sensor and i reair the engine the last year. when I drive my car the engine is warm, forever was the same. The start velocity is slow when go, but when the RPM is in 2700 +- may be i have 70 km/h.ç

The injectors are old, and one of this have a leak for the top near tho the conector.

maybe need change or cut some sensor. In the dashboard, dont have a computer trip, I remove

I removed this computer because I never work, the wires are not conected with de diplay.

I listen at some time that it was possible cancel the injectors and install a carburetor, this improves the yield. It is possible to make this and I would need a carburetor and a new distributor.

PLease say me if it´s real option a what i need.

Thank you for your help me friend.

sincerelly

Hugo Polar

PD. I have this car and i dont change for other car, in my car i have all my equipment for firefighting and I mediacl atenction ( I paramedic too) ( i have a folding strecher and rope for vertical rescue and other equipments buy for me in all time of service, I have 20 yeras in the fire department) here in Peru all firefighter are volunteers, and whit this car i save many live I listen for radio the dispacht to emergency and i go fastly for help to any people. This is the reason for why i love my old and dear car.

[Hola amigo, gracias por ayudarme con la traduccion, bueno como comentaba el problema radica en que el dueño anterior retiro el turbo del carro y no me lo comento, yo lo descubri despues . Yo cambie los pistones que tenian una cavidad en la superficie por unos planos. El carro no rinde mas de 17 kilometros por galon y eso para mi pais es imposible de soportar.

Escuche que es posible instalarle un carburador anulando los inyaectores eso podria mejorar el consumo porque realmente ahora es un dolor de cabeza.

Dinero no tengo para comprar otro subaru por que realmente me ha encantado la marca, mi carro esta equipando con material para atender emergencias ya que soy bombero voluntario y ni especialidad es rescate en estructuras colapsadas y paramedico. POr eso y muchas alegrias que me ha dado durante el servicio es que le tengo cariño a mi camioneta.

Espero que seas el nexo entre los amigos del forum para traducir mis comentario ya que mi fluidez de ingles no es muy buena.

Gracias nuevamente y espero poder contar con tu apoyo

Saludos

Hugo Polar

[Hola amigo gracias por responder, que bueno saber que estas casado con una compatriota mia, y saber que hay mas peruanos por alla.

Gracias y voy a comentarles los problemas a todos para que me puedan ayudar con esto

Gracias nuevamente y me mantendre en contacto

Saludos

Hugo Polar

Hi friend, thanks for your atention, the turbo is removed and the exhaust is in front of the engine. I conect directly a piece of pipeline to the exhauts.

The problem is of the car dont have power and the consume is wrong. only 17 km/gallon

Is posible change the injector for carburator??

Plese i wait help.

Thanks again

Hugo

[Hola amigo, gracias por ayudarme con la traduccion, bueno como comentaba el problema radica en que el dueño anterior retiro el turbo del carro y no me lo comento, yo lo descubri despues . Yo cambie los pistones que tenian una cavidad en la superficie por unos planos. El carro no rinde mas de 17 kilometros por galon y eso para mi pais es imposible de soportar.

Escuche que es posible instalarle un carburador anulando los inyaectores eso podria mejorar el consumo porque realmente ahora es un dolor de cabeza.

Dinero no tengo para comprar otro subaru por que realmente me ha encantado la marca, mi carro esta equipando con material para atender emergencias ya que soy bombero voluntario y ni especialidad es rescate en estructuras colapsadas y paramedico. POr eso y muchas alegrias que me ha dado durante el servicio es que le tengo cariño a mi camioneta.

Espero que seas el nexo entre los amigos del forum para traducir mis comentario ya que mi fluidez de ingles no es muy buena.

Gracias nuevamente y espero poder contar con tu apoyo

Saludos

Hugo Polar

Ok our buddy hugo says the car has a problem with the turbo that the former owner neglected to mention. He says he came to discover it afterwards. He also said he changed out the pistons cause they had some hole in them. His fuel economy is poor ( 17 km per gallon ) he says he has heard it is possible to install a caburator in place of the injectors cause he thinks it may help with is fuel consumption. Says it is a headache.

He says he lacks mony to buy another Subaru, but he likes the name. He car is equipped with emergency material cause he is a volunteer firefighter and his specialty is rescue, collapsed buildings, and is a paramedic. For this reason he has given much service to the care of his car. He says he hopes his friends here in the forum can help him with his English. And he thanks all of you

hi Hugo....

so the turbo is gone, and you have connected the bottom piece of exhaust (from in front of the engine) to the upper one (which goes under and behind the car)?

the easiest way to fix the car would be to get you a turbocharger. i don't have one but someone here might have one that could be affordably sold and shipped to Peru.

If you want to put a carburetor in it, that might be more practical for rural use of the car, but your engine's cylinder heads are designed to accept a turbo intake manifold. A turbo intake manifold feeds all 4 cylinders separately, while a carbureted intake manifold lumps each side's two cylinders together and has a smaller opening. so you would have to change your car's cylinder heads.

if you want to run fuel injection without a turbo, you would need larger pistons in the engine you have now, to compensate for the compression power that the turbo normally supplies. you car probably has 50% or less of it's proper horsepower.

How easy is it for you to get subaru parts? if you can get pistons from any fuel injected EA82 (with no turbo) then your car will have its proper power.

I think that since you have a limited budget (you're in good company here because many of us have limited budgets!) your best bet is to find some used subaru parts. what you can find may determine how you end up fixing your car. let us know if you can get any other parts.

some of us have shipped used parts all over the world, and if you can't find what you need, someone will help you get the parts.

also, your sensors probably do need work. if your car has been running with no turbo, then it has probably been running rich, and getting the sensors dirty. it almost certainly needs an oxygen sensor, and the EGR valve is probably full of dirt. these are not important to worry about now.

another important consideration in deciding how to fix your car is the exhaust.

if you put a turbo back on it, then you have all the exhaust parts you need.

if you change to a carburetor or other fuel injection, then you will need to put a Y-pipe in place of the front exhaust pipe. I believe this would be prohibitively expensive to ship to you from the U.S.

let us know if you can get parts locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, please some body help me with a wuestion. Is posible change the engine EA82 Turbo (engine now without the turbocharger) for a EA82 with carburator and work whit automatic transmision??

Is posible this change, I wait your answer. please

Thank you again

Hugo

yes you can change the turbo motor out and put in a carbureted motor. example, i boutght an 87 gl-10 turbo with the motor in the trunk, torn apart. i put in a carbureted motor just the same

to use carb motor the motor mount and bellhousing fit the same. if the new motor has a flywheel or clutch you can install the torque converter with the parts from the old motor

the distributor will connect to the coil, black wire to + and yellow wire to -

leave the other wires connected to the coil as they are, nothing has to be removed from the old system

the coil will work with the carb mechanical distributor, and the tachometer on the dash will work the same

when using the carb motor you must change fuel pump, as the one in the car is too much pressure and will leak past the carb, you can install a fuel pump with less pressure, and connect it to the ignition circuit, and ground it to the body

you may connect the lloe pressure fuel pump under the hood near the filter, and it will dwaw throug the old pump still on the car

since there is no turbo you can re-use your exhaust pipes or use one that comes with a carbureted motor(y-pipe)

one issue MilesFox may have overlooked is if the transmission is a 3at or a 4eat ie a three speed or a 4 speed..if it is a 4 speed the transmission won't shift correctly without a signal from the TPS which is sent to the 4eat ECU from the engine harness to body harness connectors by the ignition coil, splicing in on the body side of the harness..if it is a 3at then the swap takes place as Miles described..if it is a 4eat I'd swap it out for a 5 speed (semi big job) or 3at (if u have 2..) or consider acquiring the right parts to bring your current engine back 2 turbo spec..

• 11 months later...
Hello, please some body help me with a wuestion. Is posible change the engine EA82 Turbo (engine now without the turbocharger) for a EA82 with carburator and work whit automatic transmision??

Is posible this change, I wait your answer. please

Thank you again

Hugo

si se puede aser. el motor de estos carros es intercambable. no vas a necessitar ninguna modificasion para que le quede a la transmission. ahorra si tu pais o ciudad lo require si vas a tener que modificar las emissiones. de lo contrairo no hay prolema. para clarificar el intercambio un poco qualquier motor EA82 se le puede poner y adaptar a la transmission. si necisitsas mas ayuda dejame saber a mi o a tysn y te podemos ayudar como podamos.

Cuidate,

Buddy en Stockton,California USA

si se puede aser. el motor de estos carros es intercambable. no vas a necessitar ninguna modificasion para que le quede a la transmission. ahorra si tu pais o ciudad lo require si vas a tener que modificar las emissiones. de lo contrairo no hay prolema. para clarificar el intercambio un poco qualquier motor EA82 se le puede poner y adaptar a la transmission. si necisitsas mas ayuda dejame saber a mi o a tysn y te podemos ayudar como podamos.

Cuidate,

Buddy en Stockton,California USA

you see this is what i get for not looking at the post date :mad: