Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid Auto Parts Stores.

I went to 5 different parts stores and NOBODY had spark plug wires or a MSD coil for the RX :(

I also went to 3 of them before I found the correct distributor cap. We had to look it up in a HUGE book of pictures and cross refference part numbers to find it.

Sucked

I guess im placing an order for magnacore wires. Does anyone know of a online merchant that sells the wires and a MSD coil? I cant find many online merchants that have Magnacore Wires for a EA82T.

-Brian

Did you browse the .pdf catalog and call in the order or something Dave?

I didnt find an order sheet or browsable catalog other than the .pdf.

Havnet thought about ebay for the coil.

-Brian

Haven't been to the Magnecor site for a couple of years, I'll take a look and get back to ya.

As for the coil, I just went into one of those "speed shops" (filled with stuff for Chevys and Fords) in Pleasanton a few years ago. IIRC, there's a place in Sacto called Tognotti's..I think they were a big speed shop. Maybe there's a Super Shops over there too? Most speed shops I've seen are independents, tho.

Hope this helps.

I went to two looking for an axle for the RX. I had them show me every axle they listed for a turbo Roo, and each and every one had a 23 spline DOJ. One of the guys even had the balls to tell me "maybe your car isn't an RX."

After tons of badgering and thumbing through catalogs, they were finally able to order me a 25 spline axle. Idiots.

Haven't been to the Magnecor site for a couple of years, I'll take a look and get back to ya.

As for the coil, I just went into one of those "speed shops" (filled with stuff for Chevys and Fords) in Pleasanton a few years ago. IIRC, there's a place in Sacto called Tognotti's..I think they were a big speed shop. Maybe there's a Super Shops over there too? Most speed shops I've seen are independents, tho.

Hope this helps.

OK Brian, I just got back from Magnecor. Their pdf catalog takes a while to load (cable modem, Win 98SE, 533MHz), but the Subaru stuff is on page 18. There are 3 "grades" of wires. IIRC from that long ago, I may have phoned in the order.

Why mess around with Kragen's junk? get the good stuff for only a couple of bucks more.

Everythign I have received from auto parts stores have been the wrong parts. Except I ordered them from Brian, he works at Napa, and is on this board. Hey brian you still here?

One shop gave me a wire set, that had 5 plug wires and a coil wire.

WTF man.

[HTi]Johnson

I think the problem is directly related to the number of Soobs in your area. If there isnt that many around, they have nobody coming in to buy parts. Therefore nobody in the store knows sqaut about the cars. I havent had any problems when I go to a store that handles a large variety of autos. I stay away from Smucks and Autozoned, they are only good for buying oil and accessories. Napa by far is one of the better chain stores, altho a little pricier than most.

Funny you should say that Rob because today when I stopped at Autozone the clerk saw that I was wearing my Subaru shirt. Its a short sleave tech shirt. He mentioned something about it and said they'd have to ship any of the parts I was looking for. This was even before I asked for a coil (didnt even bother to trouble him with the disty cap). He said he'd have to order wires, and they had coils but they were some off-brand. Then he giggled and said "told you so". I guess they stopped stocking Subaru parts.

Thanked him for being so unhelpful and went to Kragen where the Assistant Manager took the time to pull out the book. I hope I got the right parts, it was the only disty cap listed for 87-89 Sube's that had the screw's instead of the clips.

I'll cross my fingers

-Brian

Found it at summit racing for $35 but they dont have the wires. I emailed magnecor and we'll see what they say.

Found the part number for the wires tho. And MSD's site confirms the 8202 coil is CARB legal :)

-Brian

Yeah, the coil comes with a sticker stating the CARB legal status, to be applied near where the coil is mounted..for the Smog Nazis that spot a non-OEM part during the visual inspection:rolleyes: .

ok, this is nuts, all you have to do for the coil is go to a store that carries universal perfromance parts, 9 outta 10 will have msd blaster coils, the work fine with the turbo cars.. and for plug wires, get the accel 8mm universal wire set, you have to cut em to length, but they are a nice set of wires and come in sets of 8 so you don have to worry about finding more wires for your next tune up. as for the ditsy cap, that is a hard part to get from a parts store.

by the way, that blaster coil on ebay is going for $10 more than retail. the accell wires are like $30 or 35 for a box.

ok, this is nuts, all you have to do for the coil is go to a store that carries universal perfromance parts, 9 outta 10 will have msd blaster coils, the work fine with the turbo cars.. and for plug wires, get the accel 8mm universal wire set, you have to cut em to length, but they are a nice set of wires and come in sets of 8 so you don have to worry about finding more wires for your next tune up. as for the ditsy cap, that is a hard part to get from a parts store.

by the way, that blaster coil on ebay is going for $10 more than retail. the accell wires are like $30 or 35 for a box.

Well said!!!

Try Jegs.com

They have there own HP coil at a very fair price and also have Accell wires

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4738&prmenbr=361

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3050&prmenbr=361

this is ridiculous.

there is a store here that sells the accell 8140 yellow coil for (last time i looked) $35, and I think the comparable MSD coil is $40. they also sell universal 8mm accel wires for $30, and you can make two sets out of that.

I can provide a hook-up for anyone that wants these shipped to them.

i've bought the wires and made two sets out of them and had no problems.

it has been about a year since i last checked these prices, BTW.

this is ridiculous.

there is a store here that sells the accell 8140 yellow coil for (last time i looked) $35, and I think the comparable MSD coil is $40. they also sell universal 8mm accel wires for $30, and you can make two sets out of that.

I can provide a hook-up for anyone that wants these shipped to them.

i've bought the wires and made two sets out of them and had no problems.

it has been about a year since i last checked these prices, BTW.

Like I said Check out Jegs. Accell V8 Super Stock Wires $23.99 Accel 8140 coil $27.99

I Want to try the MSD this time. I had the Accel in my Brat, and after reading some horror stories on here about them I think i'll try the other.

I've also used the 8mm "make yourself" wire set from Accel but I'd like to get some magnecor this time around.

Thanks everybody for their replies :)

-Brian