Ultimate Subaru Message Board

more cooling system fun!

my clutch fan is pretty loud. i dont have extensive with subarus, so i dont know if its supposed to be THIS loud. you can hear the fan over the exhaust! i want to get rid of it anyway, because its killing power at the crank. i want to get a new radiator and a new electric fan.

so should this thing sound as loud as it does? can i take it out without overheating the car? is the other fan going to be able to perform cooling duties on its own?

exhaust.zip

ok, I don't have any help, but rather a closely related question

my electric fan doesn't appear to be coming on at all, not with it idling, though I haven't run it too long, it might be coming on while I"m driving it. Anyway, I know my T-stat is opening properly, but is the other fan supposed to come on at the same time?

ok, I don't have any help, but rather a closely related question

my electric fan doesn't appear to be coming on at all, not with it idling, though I haven't run it too long, it might be coming on while I"m driving it. Anyway, I know my T-stat is opening properly, but is the other fan supposed to come on at the same time?

By the "other" fan.. do you mean a clutch fan? If you have a clutch fan and an electric fan.. wouldn't the electric be for AC? In all my cars w/ 2 electric fans.. they only both come on with the AC running.

Try switching out the fan blade. For some freakish reason it might be making that noise. Otherwise, all I can think of is some bearing in the water pump having gone bad. Try wiggling the shaft of the pump around a bit. If there's any sort of play, chuck the pump. (and put in a new one)

It might be the water pump. They often make a loud knocking sound when broken/failing. Try this: Remove the clutch fan and put the nuts back on (might need some washers) to hold the pulley on. Then run the car without the clutch fan for a bit. If it still makes noises, it's something else and not the clutch fan. Most likely the water pump.

As far as running the car without it (and without a substitute electric fan) - I'm assuming you're talking about an EA82 here - , the other side (right) fan should turn on full time if the a/c is running OR if the water temp in the radiator at the thermo switch gets to around 200F.

Whether thats enough cooling is something else. The EA81s without a/c only had 1 electric fan (on the left) similar in size to the right side EA82 fan and they were cooled OK, so I'd say as long as you don't run a/c you should be OK.

Mine was that way before I swapped it for an electric one. Sounds like the clutch in your fan has failed. It prolly has sized closed, so it's running all the time. Yes, very annoying. Part time solution? Turn the radio up! hummmmmm............remindes me of a song..............

well, depend's how "failed" the pump is.....if it's leaking water out of the weep holes, then you'd better change it soon, mostly cuz then it leaks the coolant right onto the timing belt, and those belts don't like coolant (learned from experience).

Well, haveing driving it for 45 minutes or so, at freeway speeds, then turning on the A/C for the last 5 miles or so, I popped the hood, and the electric fan was still not spinning, but the A/C was on fine...any ideas why this might be? I bet that's why my AC isn't cold unless you're moving.....

By the "other" fan.. do you mean a clutch fan? If you have a clutch fan and an electric fan.. wouldn't the electric be for AC? In all my cars w/ 2 electric fans.. they only both come on with the AC running.

I think he is refering to the electric fan. Sometimes they come on but as far as I can tell mine only came on after the car had been idling for a while(Longer than 10 minutes). I was told by the previous owner that the electric fan never came on with the air conditioner. He said it was more or less a fail safe to keep the engine from overheating.

i pulled the clutch fan off, i dont know how freely its supposed to spin, but im pretty sure its not up to par. i might crack it open today, and see if i cant grease it up or replace the ball bearings or something.

I dont recommend running without that fan. Try some three in one oil or something like Quick Lube. I have had firsthand experience with two Subaru's in Wyoming overheating because they were missing a fan. What Year is this car again?

[ Insert Rhetoric here- make sure to quote and pontificate and then make fear based command]

the car will run fine without the clutch fan as long as you don't run the AC it will get HOT if u run the AC without it..FYI cars not equiped with AC only came with the electric fan..

thats good to know, but how do i get the electric fan to come on? i took out all the AC stuff like the lines, the condenser? (radiator lookin thingy), the compressor, etc, so i cant really turn the AC on.

im afraid that the electric fan WONT come on if im out driving around, because i cant remember ever hearing it start. ill have to check next weekend to make sure its operable.

thats good to know, but how do i get the electric fan to come on? i took out all the AC stuff like the lines, the condenser? (radiator lookin thingy), the compressor, etc, so i cant really turn the AC on.

im afraid that the electric fan WONT come on if im out driving around, because i cant remember ever hearing it start. ill have to check next weekend to make sure its operable.

find the plug going to the thermoswitch in the radiator and connect the two wires.

That should hotwire the electric fan to run all the time.