Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'Shaved' Brat [or any EA model]

Has anyone removed trim on their car?

I know that in the sports car realm that a lot of people like to do this. I think it could look pretty good.

What all would you all think could be trimmed?

- Remove bed trim (and trim tabs)

- Badging

- Side trim (holes filled)

- ?

I would like to figure out what all could be removed and possibly look good. This would be on a RWD Brat.

Is this a good/bad idea?

What could be shaved?

So, have at it:

Guest shadow

I am shaving some things on my RX project, pass door handle, all keyholes except drivers door. I thought about trim too but I don't want dings as I do plan to DD this after it's done. It (shaved trim) would probably look good for show, but it's not practical imo, but then again is shaving door handles practical; probably not.

Shaving is easy if you've done body work before, to make a patch for round holes sometimes you can use a hand punch for a perfect sized insert or make one on the shop press. Others just scribe through the opening and then snip the part out. Put the patch in the hole and use a hammer and dolly to get the curvature perfect, it will also expand the patch and it will stay perfectly in place while you weld it. In fact if you cut it right you won't even be able to tell there is a patch there before welding save for maybe a diferent shade of metal.

I (obviously) think shaving looks good in certian cases and is well worth the small effort it takes to do it. People do gas lids, side mirrors, side signal lamps all sorts of stuff if they are really looking for smooth lines. Some is not practical for a street vehicle but still its a neat looking mod. The extremist would seal up the gaps on the tailgate make a fiberglass cover for the bed and blend that in with putty, some fiberglass bumpers and blend them in too. Heck they might even bondo the doors closed and get in through the window with a remote roll-down! :P

As far as door handles and key holes, I am planning on leaving them as is. (Thanks for the link.) I think that simply removing the side trim looks pretty good. (I don't intend on removing the side-step trim.)

I 'shopped a McBrat subaru just for fun (hope it's okay with you). I removed the side trim and the topper that was on the '86 Brat.

Tangent:

What about the silver trim around the windshield and windows? It might look bad with a recession where the trim goes; would it look okay painted body color?

SuBrat84 - Don't remove bed trim? As not to damage the body when being carless with the bed or is there something else that you had in mind?

post-3328-136027602109_thumb.jpg

if you could find some STD hatch doors, that would eliminate some work there, as they didn't come with trim.....

As far as door handles and key holes, I am planning on leaving them as is. (Thanks for the link.) I think that simply removing the side trim looks pretty good. (I don't intend on removing the side-step trim.)

I 'shopped a McBrat subaru just for fun (hope it's okay with you). I removed the side trim and the topper that was on the '86 Brat.

Tangent:

What about the silver trim around the windshield and windows? It might look bad with a recession where the trim goes; would it look okay painted body color?

SuBrat84 - Don't remove bed trim? As not to damage the body when being carless with the bed or is there something else that you had in mind?

I'll keep the STD doors in mind, but my car is already missing trim on driver's door, so I think I'll just patch the holes and paint.

Is it street legal to drive w/out a front (or rear) bumper? Just pondering. . .

XT6 door handles? Hmmm. I suppose that it would be more effort than I'm looking to expend on this, but it's a thought. It would certainly look cool!

Also, does anyone have any ideas how to reduce weight in a Brat? I don't want to strip the interior or go too drastic, but if you have any thoughts, toss them out!

dunno if its illegal to drive without bumpers but I did for a few months and never got pulled over for it. As for weight reduction on a Brat, it probably aint gonna happen very easily unless you do the interior strip and maybe cut half the bed floor out or something like that...

I just think the lines underneath the trim are not so hot.. but if you're gonna cut and smooth stuff.. it may look good.