Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subiesport Magazine: Year One!

**this is not a customer service thread, if you have a question or concern regarding your subscription please call 1-800-927-4344 or use the form available at http://www.subiesport.com

Can you believe it's been a whole year since we posted our first thread soliciting ideas for an all-new Subaru magazine?

Posted June 24, 2004:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18055

From that initial thread, and others like it posted to other forums, we created Subiesport Magazine. This has been an exciting year, and we have a lot to cheer about! Top "good things" include:

- Never missing a press deadline

- Only blowing up the project 2.5RS engine once

- Keeping the layout and printing top-notch

- Nobody on staff has suffered a stress-induced stroke (yet)

- Armin's mud-bogging article...we need to do something like that again soon!

- No speeding tickets on the staff!

- Total readership of 30,000 Subaru owners and enthusiasts!

- 5,000 subscribers!

- Circulation in over 30 countries--Including New Caledonia and Germany!

- Ever-increasing orders from Borders, Barnes & Noble, Chapters, Hastings, Etc...

- Record high sell-through on the newsstands!

- Made a 1-800 subscription line available for subscription orders, address changes, etc.

Of course we're not perfect, and we see that there are some areas that we still need to work on, or that we've messed up in the past:

- More Legacy coverage!

- Some prizes took way to long to deliver to contest winners.

- Still finding small (and some large) typos after an issue prints.

- Still not shipping periodical class (the permitting process is expensive and long)

- We need to get out to more events (like the recent Wicked Big Meet)

- We need to finally start doing our own meets!!

- Magazine is still "only" bi-monthly (sorry, no plans to go Monthly--yet.)

- Customer service could always use improvement

- Post office still looses a few copies of every issue. I also suspect some mail carriers are snatching issues; we're considering going to opaque bags to reduce pilferage.

My principal goal for year two is to actually get Subaru corporate to take us seriously. Some departments within Cherry Hill are cheering us and helping where they can, while others are actively campaigning to keep us out of "the loop." Oh, if you only knew!

Okay, so now that we've covered the basics, we want to hear from USMB members about what you would like to see from Subiesport Magazine in our second year. Want more Legacy coverage? More GL coverage? Want to read interviews with Subaru's corporate leaders? More from Japan? More tuning or driving tips? Any areas we need to improve upon dramatically? Any that we're particularly good at already?

Thanks for reading, thanks for subscribing and here's looking to a fantastic second year! If you're not yet a subscriber, we have a special offer on our Web site--check it out!

Cheers,

Ryan Douthit, Publisher

Subiesport Magazine

http://www.subiesport.com

MORE OLD SCHOOL!!! I want to read about cars like mine, because I can read aobut WRXs and legacys in any other mag, but this is the only place cars like mine have a chance to shine. Hopefully, one of my GLs will make it in your magazine someday. More insider info from SOA would be cool too. Oh, and see if you can't stuff more of everything into each issue, it doesn't last more than an hour and then I have to wait a whole two months before I get a new issue!

Hey!! I have a Nice little low low mileage coupe that might make an interesting story!!...J/K But actually..How about Vintage New England..where these old beautys are disappearing and the few of us that dedicate ourselves to saving them.

And BTW..I just subcribed!

One complete year and ive gotten 3 issues????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this not a monthly subscription? I hope my $20 got me more than 3 issues!!

-Brian

If you email the editor in cheif he will send you the issues you did not recieve asap. I got mine in 2 days after emailing him.

Oh yeah more old school coverage. We just had the 3rd annual alliance meet in columbus where 10-12 cars showed up. for a weekend of fooling around. Would have a great event to be covered.

As much as i would like old school coverage, i realize that the market is not there, and no market no money, no money no new issues, no new issues no more subiesport, so i will accept it being new car/wrx based.

Would it be possible to submit articles about the old school stuff? its win-win, 1 maybe 2 pages are done and ready to go, besides final editing its an easy page, and we get the coverage we desire. Just a thought. my .02

damn noah, way to be a downer.

j/k

id like to see some coverage of the people running the old turbo cars, like wjm and Do It Sideways. maybe we could also get a pic of my rx and my impreza in the magazine:)

hmm, you could also hook up an unemployed suby lover witha year's subscrition, id dig that.

peace

tim

If you email the editor in cheif he will send you the issues you did not recieve asap. I got mine in 2 days after emailing him.

Oh yeah more old school coverage. We just had the 3rd annual alliance meet in columbus where 10-12 cars showed up. for a weekend of fooling around. Would have a great event to be covered.

I shouldnt have to. I paid for a subscription and they have my address. Autoweek, Motor Trend and Car & Driver have no problem getting their magazines to my door every month.

-Brian

I better check and make sure, cause I think ive only gotten 3 or 4.

I will check your webpage for magazine covers and see which ones I am missing.

-Brian

It hasn't been out a year. First issue was in Oct of last year if I remember correctly, It has just been a year since the project got off the ground!

It hasn't been out a year. First issue was in Oct of last year if I remember correctly, It has just been a year since the project got off the ground!

Correct! We just shipped issue number five...which will be arriving in your mailboxes in the next few weeks.

Correct! We just shipped issue number five...which will be arriving in your mailboxes in the next few weeks.

Some people just can't read! Try to get through things too fast! I have heard of friends though who haven't gotten issues etc so it isn't out of the question. I'm sure it is something you've ben working to correct.

Good luck with SOA. Seems they want nothing to do with anything that doesn't have to do with their dealers and selling cars.

]**this is not a customer service thread, if you have a question or concern regarding your subscription please call 1-800-927-4344 or use the form available at[/b] http://www.subiesport.com

Okay, so now that we've covered the basics, we want to hear from USMB members about what you would like to see from Subiesport Magazine in our second year.

I'd like to see more stuff about Japanese models. Maybe you could dig up stories and photos of 80s cars that were only offered in Japan. Early Rally cars and stuff. The evolution (no pun intended, lol) of the Subaru Rally car would be cool.

I shouldnt have to. I paid for a subscription and they have my address. Autoweek, Motor Trend and Car & Driver have no problem getting their magazines to my door every month.

-Brian

Well as right as you are it is a new mag, and they will have some problems. You paid for it why not give them a call and get what you want.

One complete year and ive gotten 3 issues????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this not a monthly subscription? I hope my $20 got me more than 3 issues!!

-Brian

Gee Brian, could you go back and read the orginal post again, he said that it has been one years since his original post about the magazine, not that he has been publishing for one year.