Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well offroading with the sooby again!!

i tried my damnest to keep it on the road but i swear this car gave me more crap since i stopped hitting the mud holes than i had when i was before. among other things it seemed every time i fixed 1 oil seal another one seemed to start to leak, and of course it had to land right on the front cat, and make the car look like it was on fire. well i was about sick of it by yesterday, so this morning i made a couple small mods and re-raised up the front struts back up and hit the mud hole up the street and now the motor has a nice mud reseal again and no more leaks and no more smoking lol!!!

one of the probs that i had before that i didnt want happening again was mud getting packed very tight in between the oil pan and the skidplate to the point that the oil pickup tube would barely seem to get oil, and give the car the TOD, well as a fix i took a piece of sheetmetal (ie bottom of a screen door lol) and bolted it onto the inside of the skid plate to cover the 4 big holes in it. and today when i took it out i took through a spot that had some huge ruts to the point my tires barely touched and no mud got in between the skidplate and the pan :banana:

the other thing i did to hopefully cut down on the mud that gets packed on the rad, was take the other 1/2 of that piece on metal and run it from the front plate bracket down to where the front of the skidplate bolts up. its thin metal but im hoping it will hold up a little bit. ill have to wait till it rains again since the good spots to test that out are dried up and it would be like hitting a rock right now.

i meant to get a pic earlier but i forgot to, i get 1 taken tomorrow and post it in this thread. i guess it could be considered a ghetto skidplate setup but it works lol,

well took it out today again and found a good mud spot to test out the front skidplate thingy, and it did great, it dented a little but held up and kept 2 much mud from packing up the radiator. im not sure when i did it but apparently i managed to bend the front unibody a little bit by catching the tow hook on the drivers side on something and yanking it back about 3 inches, oh well all part of the fun i guess

i did manage to get the respect and bragging rights with a few of the wheelers today, there is one hill at the place i usually go , that most people cant make it up, and i made it up with my little stock sooby, course i had to get a good running start, but so did they and they could only make it about 3/4 of the way up! and these were blazers and toyotas and whatnot more setup for offroading..

:banana:

i did manage to get the respect and bragging rights with a few of the wheelers today, there is one hill at the place i usually go , that most people cant make it up, and i made it up with my little stock sooby, course i had to get a good running start, but so did they and they could only make it about 3/4 of the way up! and these were blazers and toyotas and whatnot more setup for offroading..

did you wave when you got to the top?

i would have... then continued on my way... its always really funny...:D