Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alt died and fried my headlighhts

First time I've had an alternator go high on me: At 2500 rpm, the voltmeter was pegged past 18 volts! Swapped the alt, went for a test drive and noticed my headlights were off. Checked for relay activation, fuses good. Hummmm.......AH HA! Headlamp filliment were blown on both sides!eek.gif Thankfully my stereo didn't get hit. Corse, when I noticed the batt voltage pegged, I turned off stereo and anyother electrical devices. Except the headlights.perplexed.gif Duh. No wonder the Digi dash gets toasted when the alt goes.

So, after a new alt and headlights and 3 trips to autozone, I am back on the road.dbanana.gif

that is weard it was producing extra voltage i have never heard of that happening before

I had one do the same thing.

Had it tested at the parts store, and the guy came back and said 'it's actually working too well, it's putting out too high of a voltage' :lol:

I also managed to burn out a headlight after driving it for a little while like that. Put a new one it, and it's been fine since.

its the only way subaru alternators have ever died for me. they start chargin like crazy. i usualy have a sub wolfer in the car that i can crank to use up the extra voltage. it only works a little bit.

its the voltage regulator crapin out, and lettin the alternator go full bore.

i ALWAYS have a spare alternator with me on a road trip, in a subaru.

Mine seem to die all sorts of ways.

The first one died by way of the voltage regulator going out in a remote area.... my RPM's determined the volts. They ranged from 10 to like 18 at 5000 RPM or so.

The next one had the shaft/bearings wear out 2 days after getting it

The next one undercharged

ditto

ditto

ditto

ya... Ive used alot of alternators. I love the lifetime warranty at Autozone :banana:

I cought it about 1/2 mile from home. Turned around and went home. Evedently, that was just long enough to take out the lights. Bummer.

I've read that you can swap the composite for the dual sealed beams. You need to swap and weld that front piece that the light assembly mounts to.