Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Something's dragging

Sorry, xt6.net people for the repost, but this being a 4-lug Subaru, I thought you guys could help me out too.

I have this horrific dragging sound coming from the front left wheel of my 88 XT 5MT 4WD (EA82 MPFI N/A). It's repetitive, speed-dependant, but here's the thing: it only happens when I coast. It doesn't matter if I'm in gear or not, it doesn't matter if I have the brakes on or not, it only matters whether I'm accelerating or coasting.

I did change the front axles about 8k miles ago, and I did it the ghetto shadetree way: pound the old ones out, then pound the hub against the new ones to force them in. I hope I didn't damage anything that way.

Anyway, in case my description wasn't clear enough, I made a vid: http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/Videos/000_0216.mov Right click, save as please. It's a MOV file, so you'll need Quicktime to view it. You can hear it very clearly at the end of the vid.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 4 months later...

Yeah... um... I fixed it...

I finally got around to taking a look to see what was wrong.

I put the front wheels in the air and put it in 1st and let the wheels start spinning. I didn't hear a thing, so that told me that it's only something that happens with weight on the car, which suggests something inside the hub. Great, I thought :roll:

I took the wheel off, and check a few things. Everything is in order visually. I scratch my head for a second and then remember a suggestion that Mike (Flowmastered) gave me: Check the axle nut...

Sure enough, it was hand-loose. So I took the pin out, and hit the nut with my handy-dandy impact wrench, and just for safekeeping, I did the passenger side too, which wasn't loose but needed some tightening nonetheless.

Put the wheels back on it and went for a drive. Haven't heard the sound since...

And to think, I hadn't driven this car for months because I thought it was something big and that I wouldn't have the time to deal with it...