Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Nightmeres??

I am looking to buy a Subary Loyale. 1992 with 27,000 miles. Consumer Reports blasts this vehicle! It says engine problems, electrical problems, brake problems, and exhaust problems. The price is awsome for such low miles, but hate to send good money after bad. What do I need to look for regarding the engine? should I just run away from Loyales?? I am looking into putting a Legacy 2.2L engine into the car...if it will fit. I have heard rummors about the Loyales having terrible oil pressure problems. Is this true? Also, if other Loyale owners liked the 2WD to 4WD option. Sounds like a good way to get better gas milege.

You will have better feedback on the «old gen» forum. Even if the Loyale is of an after 1990 model year, it is almost identical in mechanical nature to the pre 1990 GLs, etc.

I had a 1992 Loyale for a year and a half and probably would still own it today if it had not been stolen. Apart from multiple oil leaks (all repairable), I think the 1.8 L engine is bullet proof. Had no special problems apart for normal maintenance for an 8 year old car (at the time).

My 92 Loyale has 189,000 miles on it and has been the BEST vehicle I have ever owned...and I have had alot.In the 2 years I have owned it ..it has given me no real trouble...always starts and gets me to where I have to go..I have replaced an axle shaft in it and had to do tune up work(cap rotor,wires,plugs). I would not be afraid to drive that car anywhere. The problems they do have are so minor and easy to fix it is rediculous.They like to leak oil..but even to reseal the engine isnt bad.Timing belts MUST be changed between 60,000 and 90,000 miles (I should talk mine have been on for 120,000 miles).

I sware by these cars and wouldnt have anything else for my daily driver. With that mileage it hasnt even been broke in yet..which could cause some problems..it is worse to have too few miles than too many..I have an 82 GLF coupe with 32K and it is proven to be a challenge..but it is still a great running car.

I would buy it!!!

Dont let consumer reports fool ya..they only seem to praise the companies that pay them off(Just my opinion)

buy it buy it buy it..

i just found a 92 loyalke for 50 bucks with a broken timing bely. i already had a belt, bought 7 dollars worth of cam seals. runs good, has cold ac, good brakes, axles, tranny, 123,ooo miles, it drives better than my sedan

Last one I bought had a real bad rod knock and no oil pressure.

It was owned by a teenager however. :lol:

Previouse owners of vehicles play a huge role in just how reliable a used car is. I think this has more to do with it than a blanket review of a given Make and Model.

and if you do find something with a rod knock or whatever, you still cant go wrong if you have spare motors or other parts laying around, so long as teh price is right. iu have bought a turbo wagon with the motor torn apart in the back and was driving it a week later with a mix and mathc carb motor i threw together, hence TRASHWAGON 6

Had a 90 Loyale until last year. Had 160,000 miles when I sold it. Yup, leaky engine seals. Could have used it to generate income "sealing" asphalt driveways. Other than that, I abused it to no end and it kept on ticking. Rusted here in the NE. 27,000 miles??? seems like a find. How much? How is the exhaust etc. any rust?

The Loys were a little behind the curve, at that point in time, but "old school" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Consumer Reports IS NOT the final word when it comes to cars. They actually named the Dodge Omni/Plymouth Hoerizon and Chevy Citation "car of the year", if memeory serves me right...

The Loys are good solid cars, but have the classic weakenesses of the EA82 series. I'm talking axles, bearings, timing belts and cooling. Stay on top of those, and you'll have some of the cheapest, reliable transportation you'll ever own.

I wouldn't even think about retrofitting with a modern motor. Just bring it up to speed, and you'll have many years of reliable, economical driving. The low milage is a good thing, but will not substitute for age, so you'll have to bump up to the 60K service interval if you want to make this car worthy of daily driver duty. If you do it right, you could easily get 5 years of daily driving after going thru the major systems.

No big secret here. Get the maintanance caught up, keep it there, and your investment will pay off big time in terms of utility.

good luck, John

Why shouldn't he buy it Tim? I wouldn't trade my '94 for anything, well ,..... anything I could afford. Great mileage, relatively dependable, nice 4wd system, wicked easy to work on and pretty fun to drive. Just keep up on PM and I think that car would be a pretty good buy.

I think tim might want the car for himself:drunk:

Only thing that stopped my EA82 was a broken clutch cable. I could have still driven it with a fair bit of effort... but i thought it would like it better if i didn't. Doesn't use oil, doesn't leak oil... great little Subie

They are only asking $1800 I think, but they say the body is in really bad shape, from rust. So I need to take a look. If I choose to pass on it, I wil let you know where it is...but only after I have a peak. Will look at it tomorrow.

Hey this sounds like the 93 4x4 Loyale I just got about 2 months ago for $1,400. Mine has 32K on it. The bad thing is that a family of mice took up residence in the heater boxes and vents and I had to get the dash and heater boxes taken apart. Oh and the AC blows hot air. I love this little wagon and cant wait to see how it is in the snow this year..I hear they go through it pretty well. Mine is an auto trans without an overdrive gear and the car goes nowhere fast, but all and all I do like this car.

It's not called a Loyale for nothing! I have had my '92 for 5 years with now almost 180,000 on it. Still chuggin along! Also one of the easiest cars to work on. I swear by these cars. My first was a '83 GL 4x4 bought it at 112,000 and sold it at 215,000. Then a '87 GL 4x4 with 98,000 sold at 167,000. And now this baby! Best snow cars ever too! Just make sure the car has been well maintained with records. Any car could fail if the maintainence has ot been kept up on. Good luck!!! :headbang:

you say the body is pretty rusty.. you should check the undercarriage too, as it could be in pretty bad shape. but 27,000 miles??.. something doesnt sound right. if the body is in pretty bad shape, id say 1,800 is prettty high as well. as for Loyales.. well i love mine.. kinda slow, and kinda noisy at times, but aren't we all? it has served me well out here in montana and has done 2 cross country trips in every type of weather imaginable and gotten me there safely.

• 4 months later...

I would pass on that deal. Unless you like rusty cars. My new deal on Subaru's is that if they are rusty then no go. Rust is insidious and will affect all areas of the car. I have spent countless man hours sanding and patches rust on old EA82 Cars and it just isnt worth it.

Not to mention the Loyale is a DL. No options.. Call me crazy but I like having map lights and rear Speakers and all that stuff stock. I would not take this car for free much less pay 1800.00. I say that with complete and total honesty. Good Luck.

I am looking to buy a Subary Loyale. 1992 with 27,000 miles. Consumer Reports blasts this vehicle! It says engine problems, electrical problems, brake problems, and exhaust problems. The price is awsome for such low miles, but hate to send good money after bad. What do I need to look for regarding the engine? should I just run away from Loyales?? I am looking into putting a Legacy 2.2L engine into the car...if it will fit. I have heard rummors about the Loyales having terrible oil pressure problems. Is this true? Also, if other Loyale owners liked the 2WD to 4WD option. Sounds like a good way to get better gas milege.

I'd watch out for rust -- especially if it's on the frame or control arms. But other than that, these little cars are great. Not real fast (but on gravel roads I can outrun most SUV's), but simple to work and fairly cheap to fix anything that goes wrong, especially if you have a good supply of parts cars in the area. The 2.2 liter engine has a slightly better reputation with some people (and a bit more power), but I also had a friend who just had to replace her 2.2 because of a "pourous block" at only 150k miles. So you can find bad stories for any of the engines. I've gotten over 200k on all of the EA82's I've owned. I don't think consumer reports gets it.

Hey....

I think you should pass.... there are tons of older loyales on Earth and not all of them are rusty. rust is evil... My 87 GL has some rust, but I only paid $200 for it and have only done a few things to it to keep it going great. Dont let miles scare you in your hunt either. Unless its over 250K... I'd say look into it... some of the best ones have over 150k on them and have little rust....