Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carb on a turbo motor

as some of you may have seen in the for sale section that i want to run a carb on my 87 gl-10, why is this? i was told that i would have better mpg, less stuff i have to take off if i need to pull the motor for any reason. North West said this "there was never a carb manifold made for the dual port Turbo/MPFI heads. well i do have to replace the head gaskets do to some over heating, if there is no carb manifold. would make a matter if i changed the heads instead of just have machined? because its still an ea-82. so if i just took some heads off an carbed suby that it would matter, right? this is my first suby.

if you swap to a carb to eliminate the turbo you will want a whole carb motor or maybe an spfi block, since the turbo motor has the lowest compression it will sure be a dog if you use the existing turbo shortblock

is your reason for swapping the car for fuel economy? if you wanted to ditch the turbo put in an spfi block, use the turbo heads and intake, and convert it to mpfi non turbo

but if you found a carb motor you could just swap it in, but it wont run right unless you do some custom electricals for the carb itself, such as the anti dieseling solenoid and such, or just put on a weber:brow:

anyway, if you would consider a carb motor by putting together an accumulation of parts, use an spfi long block because that will eliminate egr passages you would otherwise eliminate, and gain compression too

... North West said this "there was never a carb manifold made for the dual port Turbo/MPFI heads...

Well, actually I CYAF'd by typing AFAIK. (Sorry for the acronyms, but they look cute. :rolleyes: )

As Miles said, the SPFI block will give you the highest compression ratio, and the best potential for power. The SPFI heads should be able to accept either an EA82 or EA81 carb manifold.

You stated in your MarketPlace post that your reason was mostly to get rid of emissions controls. You can rid the MPFI system of all of its add on emissions controls, too, and not have to make major mods to the car to do so. My point is that you might want to discuss this further so that you can reach your goal with a minumum of fuss and a maximum of results.

Your economy will worsen if you put a carb on a stock turbo engine.

The turbo engine is pretty simple and the ecm does a pretty good job of tuning things for you. You are going to loose power and efficiency and complicate matters for yourself by elliminating the electronics and such. It's very simple to pull the engine even when it is equipped with everything. When you pull the engine, make sure to use anti-seize on all of the threads, this will make the next engine pull a snap.