Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going down the road feeling bad...

The story of a 92 Loyale...

Just the other day I was on my way from my home in Idyllwild, CA, far up in the San Jacinto Mountains... I was headed for Riverside and on to the Ontario ariport to see a close friend off to another continent for good. My wife was getting more and more ill, the result of an ill-fated and disastrous trip to southern Mexico we had just returned from. After pulling off the highway and feeling terrible for her as she vomited everything she had inside, we got back on the road...she insisted on seeing our close friend off.

So, about five miles further, I notice the car losing power at high RPMs. I'd downshift and gun it for a hill, and after a certain point, maybe 3000 RPM, the engine would just get loud and have no more power. When I finally made it to my exit, I stopped and when I took off, it was really lagging. She died at the next light. Turned over fine, but wouldn't grab.

So far, this was not one of my best days...

So, we call a tow truck, and get her to a shop, because I'm now about 50 miles from home. It was night, so we left it. Next day I stop by and try my luck with the ignition. She started fine, but the whole engine shook, and made a sort of high-pitched grinding sound.

Mechanic checked her out and found no compression on two cylinders.

What happened? Blew a head gasket? Why would it not start the night before? It certainly didn't overheat.

Any attempts at explanations are welcome.

The sad part is that I never liked the idea of sending a Scoob to the junkyard. But, now with the vehicle undrivable and so far from home, it may be my only option... I certainly won't pay a mechanic for an overhaul, and the cost of a tow up the mountain might be more than the car would be worth running.

So: I've posted signs around my small town to see if anyone with atruck would be willing to tow the car home for less than say a hundred bucks, but I'm not hopeful. If anyone out there knows someone in SoCal or the desert that could, let me know.

Otherwise, if anyone in the area wants to pick up the Loyale for not much cash, to rebuild/save from the bone yard, PM me. I know this last part likely belongs in the marketplace, and I'll post it there once I give up entirely.

Right now, I'm still looking for explanations and some way to possibly save the car. She's a nice one...right at home next to our other loyale, and was always a pleasure to drive.

Thanks all

what two cylinders had no compression? If it was the passenger side (1 & 3), it could be the timing belt snapped/stripped some teeth.

That would cause it to shake like crazy and not have any power. Not sure about the grinding sound though.

I would think it would be worth checking that at least before it gets condemmed to the JY.

good luck

My vote goes for broken timing belt on passenger side too (if that is the side that there was no compression).

And don't let your mechanic tell you that it's messed up the valves breaking a timing belt either. These engines are non-interferance engines. I had the drivers side belt break on an 85 turbo sedan I had years back - it cut out completely and would not start. It cost about $200 for the shop to replace the belts and all was well again.

If it happened to me again, I would replace them myself following MileFox's article http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=24

Thanks for the good words... I've replaced timing belts before, but never had one break on me... I figured I'd hear a loud noise or something. And I've heard of people driving on less than 4 cylinders, so I was a little thrown off by the fact that it wouldn't start initially.

I'll double-check which cylinders were lacking compression...though the mechanic did say that one had none, and the other had a little....????

Anyway, now I have a bit of hope... I should be able to cruise down to smog-land (Riverside) with tools enough to have a crack at it this weekend, if indeed the problematic cylinders are on the passenger side.

Lastly, are all in favor of scrapping the timing belt covers, or do they help prolong the life of the belts?

The story of a 92 Loyale...

So, about five miles further, I notice the car losing power at high RPMs. I'd downshift and gun it for a hill, and after a certain point, maybe 3000 RPM, the engine would just get loud and have no more power. When I finally made it to my exit, I stopped and when I took off, it was really lagging. She died at the next light. Turned over fine, but wouldn't grab.

She started fine, but the whole engine shook, and made a sort of high-pitched grinding sound.

Kind of sounds like oil starvation.

Kind of sounds like oil starvation.

True, she leaks like an undermaintained subaru with 210,000 miles, but that's the way she was when I got her (which wasn't long ago). Had an overhaul planned, but haven't gotten there yet.

I check the oil everytime I drive it, and it's got plenty in it now. Oil pressure has always been normal.

If there were any board members in the Idyllwild area, I'd feel I owed you all a beer. You're advice saved my soob... and I was about to throw in the towel.

So, the passenger side timing belt had about a five inch stretch with no teeth. None. I put the new belt on on the side of the road (a first for me), and drove away with no problems...

Took me more time than I thought it would though,... My other scoob doesn't have an A/C. So, getting at the timing belts is pretty straight forward. This one, however, has what I guess is the a/c compressor next to the alternator. It has a shaft that sticks out with a fan attached. It's sort of in the way of everything. Is there an easy way to get this out of the way, or do you just work around it? I tried loosening the bolts that hold that fan on, to get it out of the way, but it just wanted to spin. I ended up doing the job with the fan in the way, but I didn't have to swap the drivers side belt, which may have been more of a problem.

Once again, thanks all...

glad to hear you got it back together. If you look at the mechanical fan the shaft has flats on four sides that you can get a cresent wrench on.

I have been running my car without T belt covers for about 2 years. I blew one belt but the belt was of undeterminable age. When it did blow diagnosis and repair was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy. I guess it is a matter of personal preference. nude T belts or not nude?

If there were any board members in the Idyllwild area, I'd feel I owed you all a beer. You're advice saved my soob... and I was about to throw in the towel.

So, the passenger side timing belt had about a five inch stretch with no teeth. None. I put the new belt on on the side of the road (a first for me), and drove away with no problems...

Yeah! So good to hear she's back on the road :D