Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spark plug problems

I'm trying to remove spark plugs from an aluminum head...and they don't seem to want to turn. The engine is cold. Afraid of pulling the threads out with the plug. Any tricks to avoid this disaster?? Thanks.

Thanks. I couldn't remember if was best cold or hot....that helps.

Hopefully for future reference...if I ever do need to use a heli-coil pack...how do I get the metal shavings out of the cylinder, or do they just burn up?

Thanks.

RE: Hard to remove - On my engines, they are picky as to what socket I use. Too thick of wall on the socket and it rubs against the surrounding casting, making it seem like the spark plug is sticking. My engines are MPFI (dualport intake) so the casting, and thus the clearances, MAY be different. But it is still something to check before you waste 2 days trying to remove them. :banghead:

*edit - Also, if it moves a little and then sticks, make sure that you tighten the plug (or bolt), and then loosen again. A spray of penetrant before retightening won't hurt, either. - end edit *

ya the previous own of one of my subi's didn't use antiseise, just go slow back and forth and it should come out. After you get the plug out remember antiseise after I started using that I have had nooooo problems with stuck plugs. Good luck