Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How To:Rear Bumpers from Exhaust Pipe

So after I have had some time to test it out and make sure it would hold up... I am posting about my bumpers.

This is the rear bumper (front is not finished yet).

This bumper was made out of a 12 foot piece of 2" exhuast pipe that was purchased at a truck parts store.

The pipe was cut into two 6foot sections. Brackets were cut from an old EA82 bumper I had from a parts car. The 2inch reciever was purchased at a Buyers Fair (misc parts store).

The pictures are pretty self explanatory. There is a flaw in the design however. When the brackets were welded on they were not properly measures and the whole bumper was too close to the body of the car. Rather then cut the brackets off and put a spacers in, I just moved it out so the first hole of the bracket was in the last hole of the bumper mount on the car. So there is only one bolt per side holding this on right now, and the bumper moves up and down. :( I have figured out a work around for this problem by adding extenders to the brackets and welding a nut to it. If you make one add about 2 to 4 inchs of spacing to the bracket.

I have tested this pretty extensivly. I have been towing my trailer with it for about 2 months now. The trailer is 500 pounds and I have had as much as 1200 pounds on it with no problem. I have been hauling wood, gravel, and sand in the trailer.

I would recomend a couple more spacer/supports then I have on mine althought what I have seem to be fine. No bending or anything. I painted the whole thing with black chassis paint, but it came off when I pressure washed the car. Bed liner might work better.

When I first heard of this idea I thought the guy was nuts, but he uses it on a Ford ranger that he offroads and even has hooks on his to yank stuff around with no problem.

The front bumper is simalar in design except that I used a 4 inch exhaust pipe from a rig on top and a 2inch on the bottom. I spaced them using a brush guard from a Chevy Blazer. I have som finishing to do and more welding before I post the how to on it.

100_0811.JPG

100_0813.JPG

100_0816edited.JPG

100_0814.JPG

100_0815.JPG

100_0812.JPG

Dude thats going to bend easier than a stock bumper. You need to build something with 1/8 wall at least. I would be building it with 3/16.

Yeah see that's what I thought too, but I haven't bent it yet. I have been using it for two months with no problems. I figured it was cheap and if I bent it I could make another, but it's holding up just fine. I think the secret is the bracing between the two pieces. That's why if I did it again I would put more on it.

I haven't tried backing into a tree or anything like that. I suppose in a crash it would not hold up that well, but for pulling out of mud or towing a trailer it works great.