Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installed MBC and now too much boost....

*In Hannibal Lecter voice from Silence of the Lambs*

So tell me Clarice, was it this boost controller that was the cause of the overboost?

EbayManualBoost.JPG

If it is, I ran into the same problem. I actually plan on putting it back on. Very, VERY picky this boost controller is. <--Yoda

Its not rocket science.... I did have it installed wrong initially and the turbo wouldnt boost past 6psi, no matter where the dial was. Now that Ive swapped the lines (to the correct configuration) it boost up too 15psi no matter where the dial is (and 15psi is when i let off the gas, im sure it would go higher).

I was thinking of cutting the spring, but when I took it apart to seal the fittings, the pieces looked pretty cheap... im thinking of getting something alittle better if I cant get this one working.

-Brian

Yeah, i am cheap... i guess I wasted $12. There are some better looking ones for upwards of $90 to $100 that do the same thing though, they look like they're built alittle better but I dont know if its worth that much $$

We'll see how the replacement turbo does and then i'll worry about higher boost.

-Brian

i have one of the small TurboXS units, im quite pleased with it. i think it says its only good to 10 psi, but i think it varies car to car. once i finished my intercooler project, im gonna crank it to about 12 or 13 psi.

Brian,

Here is a link to the boost controller that I have on my GL-10.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7985408769&rd=1

These are the best boost controllers that I have found yet. They cost like $16 and are FULLY adjustable. I installed mine and was able to go from stock(8psi) to 11psi. And I still have a lot of room to improve(If I can get past that pesky fuel cut). Best of all, they don't spike, they just hit the target boost and hold all the way to redline!!! Most importantly all the ones that I have purchased(I bought some for a few friends back in the States), and nobody has ever had a problem with them. They are great. Check it out. I just recently bought another one for my Starlet Glanza V so I can crank the boost up on it and my friend Randy bought on for his Skyline GTS-T.

Patrick