Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I do this? *edit, motor mount replacement with writeup*

I need to install some bolts that bolt the engine to the motor mount (or vice versa) (2)... they ended up falling out at some point in time..

The situation I have is the motor mount is twisted just a bit to where i know the holes arent going to line up for me..

I looked at where I could possibly jack to lift the engine about 1/2" and it looks like the head/valve cover area would be a good spot to do it..

Could I put a block of wood under the head and use a floor jack to lift the engine up a tad so i can move the motor mount into place?

I would definately use a cherry picker or a more suitable lifting device, but quite simply, I dont have one :banghead:

Thanks for your suggestions.

just so you know: Drivers side is teh suck, pass side is teh easy

all 14mm bolts/nuts

1. unbolt the lower nut on motor mount that is being replaced

2. unbolt top bolt of motor mount that is being replaced

3. unbolt the motor mount plate from the engine

4. on the opposite side of the motor mount that is being replaced, loosen the motor mount from the crossmember side (loosen, dont take all teh way off, leave it on a bit enough to have play for the mount to move) When you lower your engine back down onto the new mount, this will help as a guide for that side.

5. with a floor jack and a block of wood, gently jack up on the oil pan.. now.. your only jacking this up high enough to get the plate on top of the motor mount off and out of the bushing.

6. once that plate is out, remove the motor mount

Reinstall

1. put new motor mount bushing in (do not have the top plate of the motor mount on the motor mount, keep it off, makes getting this bushing in 100X easier)

2. jack engine up high enough to wiggle that plate back in..

3. take your time of bolting things up and lowering things down.. tighten up, and good to go

2. jack engine up just high enough to get the plate in