Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'88 GL: Repairs gone wrong! Running like poop...

EA82 1.8L TBFI Wagon GL 4wd

Current problem:

============

Car bogs horribly.

Plugs are carbon-fouled, running extremely rich.

Barely runs, dies if touch gas pedal.

Runs sustainable when Air Control Valve tube is removed from air intake.

Misfires ridiculously.

Throttle sensor, air speed sensor check okay.

What's wrong!?

This all is a result of the following "repairs" I made on the poor SUby:

===================================================

Car dies on road.

However, since, somehow (!?) I still got a spark when testing the plugs, I figured it was a fuel problem.

The fuel pump is fine and up to pressure, and the fuel filter is new, but the injector (TBI) wasn't clicking, so I REPLACED it

Car still no run.

Rotor wasn't spinning, discovered it was the timing belt, and replaced them both.

Skipped a step in replacing them and installed the belts with both cams' marks at top simultaneously

(whereas should've installed belts with cams in opposite directions: one up, one down)

Tried to start it quite a bit while in this configuration... did I possibly dammage the valves!?

Finally got them installed proper. The driver's side cam isn't PERFECTLY lined up at top, is maybe 1 degree off. Would this make that much of a difference?

Timing is perfect.

All vacuum lines are cleaned out and air filter is in good condition.

Before repairs:

===========

car bogged a little at low RPMs when slam on gas.

Otherwise, ran pretty well!

Any ideas!? I'm desperate, here!

It sounds like the timing belts need to be checked again. One or both may be tooth off. Also check for a leaky fuel injector to see if that may be the cause of it running rich. If that is ok then maybe the coolant sensor for the ECU has gone bad. This is different than the sensor for the temperature gauge and may behind the throttle body.

Hey Cougar!

Thanks for the reply!

Well, if I were to adjust it by a tooth, then it would be more than 1 deg off. It'd prolly be like 2 or 3 deg off in the opposite direction. Or...perhaps, I could finagle it.... But would this small increment that it's off now really be that drastic in the operation of the engine?

The fuel injector could be bunk...that would suck cuz it took a week to get in. heh.

I'll check the coolant sensor...but what would a fault in that cause?

Thanks again!

hmm... So I guess I should take everything off again and play with these belts... for the FOURTH time! HAH! Gues I'm gonna get good at this!

ANy recommendation for a good/better procedure on getting the belts on and porperly aligned without skipping teeth?

Thanks so much for the reply!