Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat and kid stuck in Bozeman.--update4

Jrach was driving my Brat to Michigan to pick up a motorcycle. From the sounds of it he blew a headgasket just outside of Bozeman. Anyone out there who can contact him and advise where to take it for repair and a reasonable hotel. I just talked to him and it might be more simple than that, but it certainly sounds ominous. His cell # is 360-510-1224. I'll try to work out stuff from here but right now I'm just looking for some local help. Thanks, ===edrach===

Update (10:15 PDT): Well, James got towed back to Bozeman and they're in the Brat in the parking lot of a NAPA place next to a bar in Bozeman. Seems all the hotels are booked so they'll be roughing it in the Brat.

Thanks a lot for the info; I think you're right about tailgatewagon. I'll send it off.

mtsmiths lives in Bozeman, and I believe another member does too. Tailgatewagon maybe? Probably would be worth sending them an email, or attempting to get contact info for them from anyone who knows.

DOH! I just saw this post too ... I am in Hamilton MT too, (just an hour from Missoula) so I am on his way too ... if they need annother place to stay I can contact some friends in the area ...

P.S. if needed call my cell at 406-370-8223 ... gonna hit the hay for now

Thanks a lot; James has his cell phone with him and his # is 360-510-1224; I think they're sleeping in the Brat tonight. Feel free to pass his number on to someone in Bozeman.

DOH! I just saw this post too ... I am in Hamilton MT too, (just an hour from Missoula) so I am on his way too ... if they need annother place to stay I can contact some friends in the area ...

I heard from James this morning and it appears the water pump failed. Unfortunately, it likely took out a head gasket also; we'll see. I have a stash of parts that he took with him and there's a water pump in there. More information pending.

There's hope; water pump has been replaced and things look promising since nothing bad is coming from the tail pipe. However, the car is not warming up as it should and it appears the water is not circulating. Stay tuned.

I have been in contact with him for a bit now.. I am keeping him updated, and trying to help him over the phone figure out what is wrong with the brat... he tried pulling the Tstat out, and it is still not cycling coolant thru the engine, it just gurgles it out of the radiator.. ?? could this be a cracked head, blown HG or a cracked block causing the coolant passages to pressurize and not fill up with coolant? thats just one of my guesses..

I may be able to do one or 2 things.. I could go get the bike and bring it to WA (and make it back for the show!!)

or I could deliver an EA81 longblock to him if needed, and if there is one available anywhere between here or there- in wich case, he could come finish the trip as he planned...

anyone has any ideas feel free to call Ed, James or me about it!

Possibly an "air lock" in the cooling system? I am replacing HGs in an XT that had absolutely no water circulation when the radiator cap was tightened, but loosen it or leave it off and voila! circulation! I have never seen anything like it. :-\ My best guess is combustion leak into cooling.

Just a comment, there's very little water circulation until the thermostat starts to open. I'm wondering if we're just being too cautious here.

Possibly an "air lock" in the cooling system? I am replacing HGs in an XT that had absolutely no water circulation when the radiator cap was tightened, but loosen it or leave it off and voila! circulation! I have never seen anything like it. :-\ My best guess is combustion leak into cooling.

Last update for now; he's on the road again. He removed the thermostat to insure coolent flow. Car is running strong, no hideous white smoke out the tailpipe, temp guage is reading just a little below normal. I've got my fingers crossed. After Billings he will take I-94 east through North Dakota and onward. Thank you all for your help and assistance.

Thanks John I'll check with him on that next time he calls in.

Running without T-stat.....MAke sure he runs at least 50/50 antifreeze mix....I tend to lean on the heavy sid for anifreeze...its good in an all alum motor....

Good luck, John

Thanks for the offer Noah; he won't be close to Detroit. He's hoping to be in Minneapolis tomorrow morning and then head north into Wisconsin and into the UP region of Michigan to Marquette and then head back. He's currently in Bismarck, ND as of 8:30pm our time.

If he's close to detroit, have him give me a call,

231-

624 Nine

Thanks for the offer Noah; he won't be close to Detroit. He's hoping to be in Minneapolis tomorrow morning and then head north into Wisconsin and into the UP region of Michigan to Marquette and then head back. He's currently in Bismarck, ND as of 8:30pm our time.

North???? That would be Canada, eh! How 'bout south into WI, then North to yuper-land.