Ultimate Subaru Message Board

getting cv axle back in hub, how did I do this last time?

ok, so I'm replacing the cv axle half (front right of course) and I'm pulling the new axle into the knuckle with the crown nut and washers...

but I ran out of threads...

now how did I get past that last time?

doesn't seem healthy to pound on the other end of the cv axle shaft... prying would damage the outside rubber seal on the knuckle...

do I really need to get an inch's worth of washers to pull it through with?

I thought of that, but I didn't want to get sawdust in the grease... (already got a bit in there I had to pick out when I was pounding out the old axle.)

Been awhile but I think I used plywood discs 5/8" thick, drilled hole to act like washers and kept doing what your doing. I am sure there are easier ways but had to use what I had...

(hope that made sense)

Remember where I live? I can leave a little tub of CV parts in front of my garage door if you want. There are some new nuts, washers, etc.

PLEASE bring em back when you are done though... I hear those conical washers are $7 each new! (and I may need em in afew more thousand miles)

My address is 4811, you should know the street :)

that would be cool! I'm going to see if the hardware store is open on my way home and get some washers... if not then you may see me this evening... or I might just try spacing and prying with a large wrench... (:

I'm headin' to work right now (via bike), so won't be able to get back to this until around 4:00 this evening...

I can leave a little tub of CV parts in front of my garage door if you want. There are some new nuts, washers, etc.

ok, so I got the axle into the knuckle with some good prying... then I found out that it was a 23-spline axle! argh! I really should check these things before I put them in...

I was thinking "this thing really should slide onto the tranny easier"...

so another bike ride to work tomorrow morning and try to talk the new roommate into picking me up after work and driving me to carquest...

Spiffy,

I'm also doing this job for the first time tonight, and the only thing that I could figure was a bunch of washers/various spacers to draw the axle out. Have to credit EdRach for that tidbit of wisdom.

Good luck westcoaster,

WoodChip

so I took the 23-spline axle back to CarQuest... turns out it was in the right box, but it was the wrong part... they didn't have another one and would have to order it...

no good, I need it tonight...

went to Napa... they'd have to order it...

went to Schucks... they'd have to order it...

went to AutoZone... they'd have to order it...

went to Mike's Auto Parts... they'd have to order it... so I ordered it...

seriously, WTF?! this is one of the most popular cars in the area and they don't stock an axle at any major chain in the metro area?! ridiculous...

next time I'll make sure it's the right one before it's Sunday evening and the car is disassembled up on jackstands and I have to be at work at 7am...

Actually, you're lucky they gave you the 23 and you have the 25 spline DOJ; the other way around and it goes on so easy you don't realize it's wrong until after you're done and go to drive away and the oversize DOJ shears off the roll pin! Been there, done that! Good luck getting the right axle; you might try getting one from richierich at Superior Import Repair. Good luck.

I just feed the stub into the hub assembly from the rear, hold the CV really right and pull toward me, then hammer on the hub face in a circular patern (read: BFH). Since the control arm is undone from the main crossmember it swings inward as I pull the axle outward. Hardes part is keeping the stub horizontal while pounding; it tends to want to point upward and not line up.