Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Still can't get the cam sprockets off

Hey, let me check their website and see if they still carry it. I bought mine about 6 years ago from them.

Yo Subaru_for_LIfe, how about coughing up the part # for that Harbor Freight tool you mentioned? :-) I'm hip to getting one. I sent a fax to Kent-Moore for prices on their cam holding tool but they didn't respond, but I think it's about $90. I used the huge Harbor Freight chain wrench to hold my cam pulley while loosening the bolt, and I swear it took 200-300 ft lbs to break it loose; I had to put a big pipe on a 24" breaker bar to free it, but I think I might have bent/deformed the cam sprocket, so I ordered new ones.

Edit: I couldn't find the tool anymore at Harbor Freight. But I found a buch of Schely tools for holding down the cam pulleys:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2/002-6406597-0130415?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A15684181%2Cn%3A15706941%2Cn%3A15707541%2Cp%5F4%3ASchley%20Products&page=2

...I've never seen an SOHC cam tool and honestly didn't know there was one, what with the hex shaped part of the cam just screaming to have a wrench put on. I retract my earlier comment...

Not all SOHC cams have the hexagon. Those with hydraulic lash adjusters certainly do not.

porcupine: That tool costs about $65 from SPX. I understand it's less if you're able to open a business account with them. The wrench is made in Japan and has a Subaru part number on it. It's a good 1/4" thick and very heavy.

Thanks for the info Subaru_for_LIfe :) The Schley tools look interesting, but it's hard to tell from the pics if they would work on these cam sprockets as the SVX tool has that bend to get into the cam recess but the Schley's look almost straight from the pics. Too bad HF doesn't have it anymore, man when you get something on sale there and use the 20% off coupon from e-mail there are some awesome deals to be had there.

Thanks avk for the SVX info; $65 isn't a bad price, now I want to order it; guess I'll have to wait 'til Monday. I was thinking about trying to make one out of some of those weldable steel parts at Sears Hardware...but :slobber:

Make sure to get the crankshaft pulley bolt properly tightened afterward or else!

That universal cam tool from Schely looks just like the one I've got from Harbor Freight. And I've used it on EJ22s and Honda F22s, it worked like a charm. But I've never tried it on an EJ25 however.

Pye

Thanks for the info Subaru_for_LIfe :) The Schley tools look interesting, but it's hard to tell from the pics if they would work on these cam sprockets as the SVX tool has that bend to get into the cam recess but the Schley's look almost straight from the pics. Too bad HF doesn't have it anymore, man when you get something on sale there and use the 20% off coupon from e-mail there are some awesome deals to be had there.

Thanks avk for the SVX info; $65 isn't a bad price, now I want to order it; guess I'll have to wait 'til Monday. I was thinking about trying to make one out of some of those weldable steel parts at Sears Hardware...but :slobber:

Make sure to get the crankshaft pulley bolt properly tightened afterward or else!

<<That universal cam tool from Schely looks just like the one I've got from Harbor Freight. And I've used it on EJ22s and Honda F22s, it worked like a charm. But I've never tried it on an EJ25 however. Pye>>

thats because you need the cam holding tool, not the wrench, for the EJ25. it looks like the one in the bottom pic of Al_SemC's post.

<<but it's hard to tell from the pics if they would work on these cam sprockets as the SVX tool has that bend to get into the cam recess but the Schley's look almost straight from the pics. >>

save yourself some money and get the wrench with the bend in it. it will fit the EG33 and the EJ22 engines. it has the same distance from the knobs. i have both, the offset (bent) one works fine.

I've never understood a reason for the "camshaft holding tool" as an absolute necessity when changing a timing belt. IF you line up the marks before you remove the old belt, this is the position of the pistons (EJ25) on the passengers side of the engine. The drivers side is similar.

IMG_0692.jpg

There is absolutely no way that you are going to damage a valve by hitting a piston due to a cam rotating on you because you don't have that tool.

• 2 weeks later...