Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noob here! Want a scoob, but Got ?s

Hi All,

I've Been reading a lot of the threads in the new generation forum. I'm looking at either buying a used mid to late 90s Outback wagon Cash or Trading in my 01 Accord for the $189/mo 05 2.5RS lease. The utility of the Wagon is what I really want, but I don't want to shell out the $ for a new one or get another high interest used car loan. My ex had a 95 stripped down Legacy wagon (Awd, and A/T were the only options), but it was an excellent car I drove that thing everywhere and it definetly took some abuse.

1. What are the model years that are plagued with the head gasket problems?

(I see a lot of Phase 1, but no specifics on years)

2. Are the 2.2L engines really that much better?

3. How many miles can be expected out of the 2.5L or 2.2L?

4. If someone ran different tire sizes on the car will that trash the AWD?

5. Is a 180,000 mile Legacy going to be more of a headache than it's worth?

I've owned VWs for most of my life, and did most all of my own maintenance and repairs on them and am pretty well mechanically inclined. My Accord is the first Honda I've owned and it's been dead reliable for the 1.5yrs I've had it (it also has 115,000miles). The A/T is it's only weak link. I'm expecting the Subie to be somewhere in between the VW and Honda in terms of repairs/reliability.

TIA

19_1_b.JPG

Welcome to the board! You should def. get a subaru, they're worth every penny.

as for your questions.. the EJ22 will run up to 300k if you treat it nicely. It's uber (yes, uber) reliable, and only tends to leak oil from the pump :rolleyes: I dunno what the 2.2L is though :brow:

as for the tires, as long as they're all the same size, and are all wearing at the same rate you should be fine. Lots of people on the board run oversized tires for off-roading etc..

I believe it was the 2.5L that had the head gasket problem..

hope this helps!

1. What are the model years that are plagued with the head gasket problems?

(I see a lot of Phase 1, but no specifics on years)

2. Are the 2.2L engines really that much better?

3. How many miles can be expected out of the 2.5L or 2.2L?

4. If someone ran different tire sizes on the car will that trash the AWD?

5. Is a 180,000 mile Legacy going to be more of a headache than it's worth?

1. As far as I know the "head gasket plague" is any pre-2000 2.5L DOHC. "EJ25 DOHC". I have a 98 Phase 1 EJ25 DOHC and I like it.. very torquey. If you're going used.. anything pre-98 I would go with the 2.2 "EJ22" if I were you.

2. The 2.2l is notoriously more reliable than the pre-2000 2.5l ..

3. With proper basic maintenance I would expect 250,000 at least out of ANY soobie.

4. As long as all four tires are the SAME size and treadwear you will be okay.. going outside the "recommended" tire size is okay.

5. If it is a 2.2l Legacy and the price is fair I would go for it. Do a good tune-up and change the timing belts and you should be good for another 100k without much of a problem!

In my personal experiance a Subaru is way more reliable than any Honda and just as easy to work on as any VW.. I have an 84 brat with 240k miles on it that has less problems than our 91 accord sw with 190k miles on it.. Good luck, and welcome to the board!

If you want reliable and service headache free, get the EJ22 powered car.... You also, if you do your own work/drive high miles might also consider that the 96 and previous EJ22 was non interferance which means if the T-belt goes, no problems... 97 and newer have a chance to munch your motor.

Thanks for all the replies! I've found some good deals on 2.5L Outbacks, the 2.2s seem to be a bit harder to find. There's a ton of all the models where I'm originally from in W.Mass, but down here in New Orleans Subies are few and far between (Except WRXs).

• 2 years later...
Thanks for all the replies! I've found some good deals on 2.5L Outbacks, the 2.2s seem to be a bit harder to find. There's a ton of all the models where I'm originally from in W.Mass, but down here in New Orleans Subies are few and far between (Except WRXs).

The notorious bay of e always has a bunch of cheap Subarus in Florida. I guess all those New Yawkahs retire and switch to golf carts. That's not far from you ... well at least north FL isn't too far.