Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie Saga

I hope this doesn't get too long for this board. You all might get a few good laughs at my bumbling efforts.

Nine years ago we inherited a 1987 GL hatchback with over 100K miles. I figured it wouldn't have much longer to live and have given it minimum maintenance- oil changes, alternator, drive axles, radiator, etc. I figured it wouldn't be too long before we faced major engine or transmission problems and we would just get rid of it. This was my first big mistake.

Now with 202K miles it finally died about 50 miles north of here at my sister-in-law's house. I threw a few tools in the car and ran up to check it out. It turned over and had a spark, but almost no fuel in the carb. The fuel pump was original and I don't think I ever replaced the filter so I diagnosed this as the problem. This was my second big mistake.

I returned with the new parts and installed them laying on the blacktop driveway on a sunny 92 degree day. I turned the key and nothing- same problem. I then focused on the carburetor. There was no way I could get a wrench on the idle stop solenoid, but it looked to be leaking around the base and float bowl. I decided it was time for a rebuilt carb and this was my third big mistake.

So I drove up again with my tape and sketchpad to label and remove all 22 hoses from the air cleaner and carb. I took it home to try to identify it and price a new one. Looks like it was going to cost me any where from $165 to $285 for a rebuilt one so I spent $28 for the kit and spent the afternoon on the picnic table cleaning and rebuilding it. The rebuild went smoothly except that all the nuts and screws were outrageously tight.

I drove the carb back up, reinstalled it, turned the key, and still nothing. I forgot to mention that all during this fiasco my brother-in-law (not the expert I am) kept suggesting that maybe it was the timing belt. Just to pacify him, I turned it over so he could feel the air moving out of the exhaust pipe and even did a compression test on cylinder #1 to show how it couldn't be the timing belt. This was my fourth big mistake.

So I drove home again, discouraged, and without a clue what the problem could be. I started searching the net for ideas and stumbled onto this board. As you all have guessed by now, it was the other timing belt. Who knew it had two? I replaced the belts and with the carb rebuild my wife says she doesn’t remember it running so smoothly.

BTW, we drove home in the rain and ever since, the wipers won’t turn off with the ignition on. I pulled the fuse for now!

Steve

Gee,I thought for a minute there that I'd be driving to Subaru of Americaland for a free "hatchback".:grin:

Congrats!

That's a "3door",not the "hatchback",just so you know.There's other folks around here that get real funny about that.:lol: The real hatchback has the EA81 engine,which is O/H valve-no timinng belts,it's gear driven.The 3door has the big glass hatch and the EA82 engine,which you are now very familiar with.;)

Way to go!Now go to Lumbertown tomorrow and meet Subaru's greatest Rally driver.

Cheers!

That's a "3door",not the "hatchback",just so you know.There's other folks around here that get real funny about that.:lol: The real hatchback has the EA81 engine,which is O/H valve-no timinng belts,it's gear driven.The 3door has the big glass hatch and the EA82 engine,which you are now very familiar with.;)

Tnx for clearing up the 3door vs hatchback mystery (at least in my mind). No wonder I get the wrong parts half the time.