Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake rotor interchangeability Q----?

if its the vented rotor you are trying to replace a solid rotor, yes, it will fit, BUT, you will have to use the calipers from the 83-84(vented rotor)

but solid rotors will fit ina vented rotor's caliper with no conversion.

if your car is already vented rotors you will have no problems

'81 wagons did not originally come with vented rotors.

If you want to do vented, you will need the vented rotors, calipers, and caliper carrier brackets from a donor. One of my bastardized parts cars had one caliper/bracket combo from a vented rotor car, which ended up on my driver due to time constraints at front-end rebuild time (just before I went to the LaPine meet in March). I just changed it out for the correct bracket on Sunday, due to the fact that I was worried about losing the outside pad once it wore down a bit. Very dangerous to use vented-rotor brackets with solid rotors! I had a mostly worn out pad that I tried in the bracket, and it slipped right out between the bracket and rotor! This pad hadn't even gotten to the point where the wear indicator was touching the rotor.

• 6 years later...
if its the vented rotor you are trying to replace a solid rotor, yes, it will fit, BUT, you will have to use the calipers from the 83-84(vented rotor)

but solid rotors will fit ina vented rotor's caliper with no conversion.

if your car is already vented rotors you will have no problems

I know, thread from the dead, but THANK YOU FOX!!!

I just got screwed by a Ebay seller, I got sent solid rotors and solid pads for

an 85 BRAT >_<

And as my brakes sit there is no way in hello that I'm letting it continue as is.

Lets just say this is good enough to put on the wall of shame/fame.

I will post up pix in a separate thread...

Twitch

http://www.rockauto.com pads 5.50, rotors 10 bux each..

i just ordered for my 82 hatch, front rotors, pads, shims, rear shoes, shim kit, and clutch cable with shipping for 89 bux...

mine are solid rotors, but looking up the 85 brat it shows the vented rotors, and they are cheaper than mine... mine cost 15 each

Edited by themoneypit

DO NOT MIX-N-MATCH YOUR BRAKE PARTS!!!

You need to run the correct caliper for the type rotor your running.

Solid rotor & solid caliper

Vented rotor & vented caliper.

If you run a sloid rotor with a vented caliper, you can and will chuck one of the brake pads out of the caliper.

If you run a sloid rotor with a vented caliper, you can and will chuck one of the brake pads out of the caliper.

this can happen even with the correct rotor/caliper combo. There are sheet metal clips supposed to be in there (6 per caliper:rolleyes:) that are mostly missing now on these cars that help with that problem.

Doesn't ussually happen till the pad get's very thin.

^^^

I can see where that could happen if the clips were missing.

But I do know from experience, that it will definetly chuck the inner pad out of the caliper, if a solid rotor is installed in a vented caliper. And the piston will nearly come out of the caliper when that happens.

Happened on my '86 BRAT. Owner previous to the one I bought it from had swapped the rotor on the PS. I never paid that much attention to it to be honest, even when in there replacing tierod ends and balljoints.

But when it chucked the pad out on a drive home. I realalized why. Never did find the missing pad, but the outer pad showed just less than 1/2 wear on it. All clips present and accounted for.