Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towing a lifted EA81 on a tow-dolly...

Taking the wagon on its last road trip to the sky... I plan on hauling my '84 Wagon with a 3" lift to Reno where me and Jibs will transform her into a new off-roading subaru.

Problem is, my ignition is broke on the wagon and right now the key is stuck "on" so the steering wheel will not lock. Would this cause problems while towing it on the dolly? I would feel better if the steering would lock, but since it wont im not sure if I should just opt for the car trailer and scratch the dolly.

Any suggestions?

-Brian

Well, since the wheel doesn't lock straight ahead, I don't like locking the wheel in the first place. (That, and the abuse on the column lock mechanism.) Use tie-downs to the steering wheel both sides, and find suitable attachment points near the doors.

Taking the wagon on its last road trip to the sky... I plan on hauling my '84 Wagon with a 3" lift to Reno where me and Jibs will transform her into a new off-roading subaru.

Problem is, my ignition is broke on the wagon and right now the key is stuck "on" so the steering wheel will not lock. Would this cause problems while towing it on the dolly? I would feel better if the steering would lock, but since it wont im not sure if I should just opt for the car trailer and scratch the dolly.

Any suggestions?

-Brian

This all depends on whether you put it on the dolley with the front wheels up or the rear wheels up. If you put the front wheels up and manual tranny in neutral you just need to strap the front wheels to the dolley (this is standard procedure) steering wheel does not have to be locked. If you back it on the dolley (rear wheels up) then you will have to lock the steering wheel somehow. Then again, the safest way is front wheels up and remove the driveshaft (that's how I use the dolley with my AWD 'Ru's) actually I just disconnect the driveshaft and wire it up out of the way so it never lets any fluid out of the tailshaft of the tranny. Gary

dont make wide turns, and especially dont back up with a loaded dolly!

towed unlocked it does good, just dont try to exercise subaru turning radius with the rig. pretend you are driving something ill built with no turning raduis

I rent these dollys daily to newbs and i know how to use/operate/safely tow vehicles. Just didnt want my car fishtailing or something cause of the steering being unlocked.

and yes, i plan to have the front tires on the dolly. That way i can set the parking brake and be absolutly sure the car wont come off. That and it will have safety chains around the tow points, along with the straps.

And mick... it'd actually be a tripple pivot point. The tow hitch is one, the swivel on the dolly is another and then the car turning... would be three, no way in hell im gonna try backing that thing up.

-Brian

I've towed many a vehicle using tow-dolly, and have always had the steering wheel un-locked. Helps with making tight turns in the City, and I've never had any fish-tailing problems doing so. It is actually recommended to leave wheel un-locked to lessen chance of damage to steering system.

As for getting the non-running BRAT up on the dolly; Block the back of the rear tires, lift front wheels off the ground by placing a small jack under the engine cross-member, go as high as jack will allow. Back tow-dolly under vehicle, best to align dolly with front tires by hand, then hook it to tow vehicle. Dolly will lift vehicle off of jack as the tires roll up the ramps. That's how I got the dead XT-6 that Miles and I bought up on the dolly, and have done afew others since then. Ain't easy pushing a vehicle up onto dolly by hand, been there done that.

I rent these dollys daily to newbs and i know how to use/operate/safely tow vehicles. Just didnt want my car fishtailing or something cause of the steering being unlocked.

and yes, i plan to have the front tires on the dolly. That way i can set the parking brake and be absolutly sure the car wont come off. That and it will have safety chains around the tow points, along with the straps.

And mick... it'd actually be a tripple pivot point. The tow hitch is one, the swivel on the dolly is another and then the car turning... would be three, no way in hell im gonna try backing that thing up.

-Brian

If your front tires are STRAPPED down to a dolly that pivots... don't you think that your tires would need to be able to turn with the pivoting action? Anyway. As long as your tires are strapped to the dolly properly you don't need your wheel locked and it's preferred you have it unlocked. This will help your vehicle to track better. You don't need your parking brake on either. I know it will help you feel better.. but it wont make a difference.