Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is the demand of . . . .?!

A 3.90 ratio RX transmission? We're talking the exact same RX tranny, with the exception that the final drive is 3.90 instead of 3.70

Just wondering if there is really a demand for it, if it's worth it to actually start sourcing transmissions and working on them.

BeefARu has in his GL10 an RX tranny with:

*4.11 gears

*Forester 5th gear for highway driving (3000 RPM @ 70ish mph)

*Legacy AWD differential instead of the RX locking center differential

*vacuum solenoid hooked up to high/low shifter since the RX locker is gone

just a suggestion :D

Having those 4.11 gears would make low range not feel so wussed out.

Did they just come out of the Legacy gearbox ?

If they do, a 4.11 should be the target gearing. (My forester is a 4.11)

If a 4.11 is readily available why stop at 3.90?

This would help our poor crawl ratio... :rolleyes:

Right now I'm just looking at how much of a demand there is. I haven't had a Legacy tranny in my hands as of yet, so I don't know what it would take to put in 4.11 gears. I know that 3.90 isn't that hard to do. Also I'm still working on a source for conversion parts. I will only use new stuff, don't want to use junkyard stuff just to have it go bad, that wouldn't help reputation any. I'll take a look into the 4.11's in the next week or so, if I can get a Leg tranny. Looks like people do want this, so it's prolly worth the time to research it.

You can find 4.11 gears in most Impreza 2.5RS's from what I understand. A couple friends are running them in their Turbo Legacy's.

I have a RX tranny I could bring up there Adam, maybe I can find some 4.11 parts from some locals here. But I say keep the RX's locking diff, but make it a mechanical activation instead of a switch.

-Brian

4.11 gears would be nice! That would put my speedo just about right with the 185/80r13s on me Suby. OOOH, more torque. Let's see how many CV's I break!:brow:

On question, would the clutch type LSD that I have in there now fit in a 4.11 geared rear dif? It should, am I right?

There are times where having AWD is nice: dry pavement, rainy days, things of the sort. But when I'm on the trails, I want the ability to lock the front and rears together. If you could put the 1.5 low range and 4.11 final drives in the full time lockable tranny, that might be somthing I'd try. I live in a world of rocks and soft sand, I need my torque.