Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear ebrake idea

i dont' knwo how hard this would be but i kind of want to maybe have two ebrakes one front and one rear that way i can slide the car both ways. i'm i crazy for thinking about doin this? is there any thing i should be carefully about do this?

rear handbrakes have been discussed on the board a number of times (search) I recall something about a nissan(?) brake caliper that fit w/ a e.brake control.

I don't know anything about the safety issues involved. How fast do you plan on doing this? (on gravel, pavement, ?) I've found the front handbrake useless -- except for burnouts and various off-road manuvering. Some people have setups where they use 2 handbrake levers to control both left and right front brakes independently.

What model Subaru are you planning to try to flip w/ independent hanbrake controls? ;)

As for the rear e.brake design, I've pondered using the EA81 Hill-Holder to actuate both rear brakes. First, the brake lines would need to be reworked to attach both rears to the HH and the front brakes to the two corresponding points. Remove the cable between the clutch and HH, then set up a handle-operated cable attached to the HH. In the event of a rear e.brake useage, the driver would pull the handle, punch the brake (enough) to actuate the HH going to the rear brakes; disengage the lever to release brakes.

This is elaborate and probably not worth it, but it would be cool to see, and might prove to be effective. :headbang: Warning: This is untested and possibly unsafe for street driving.

If you know what you're doing you can pull a rear e-brake at 45mph on dry pavement do a fatty 180 spin and dump it goin the other way.. i love doin it w/ awd because there is less of a burnout when you change direction that hard.

I was actually thinkin it would be cool to have FOUR e-brakes!! One for each tire!!! This could be very handy for off-roading! finding room for 4 with good functionality may be a challenge though.

I think the only really tricky part about doing this is trying to get the calipers aligned with the rear disc since the bolt holes are made for the smaller caliper without the e-brake lever. once you get it aligned, with a combination of math and custom brackets the rest would be as easy as it seems. This alignment issue is the only reason I haven't already tried this myself, but i'm putting on vented discs in the front with the corresponding calipers, so I will have the standard calipers the test and measure with. I'll let all you guys know what I come up with. Of course someone on this board could possibly offer some useful information for this conversion, or tells why it's too difficult.

later

Nate

Definatly an interesting idea. I was looking into this myself. Seems to be the the early 90's ford probes (my test subject was a 93) have similar rear calipers. What you would have to do is remove your caliper, then remove the bracket, then bolt on the ford bracket, then put the caliper on that. Never got around to go really in depth with it, just checking basic bolt spacing and whot not. But if someone wants to give it a try.

Also for the quad brake system, all you have to do is change your levers from horizontal to vertical, this will allow you room for four where there was for one, plus it will be easier to get a hold of one single lever, or two at a time, and the layout would be easy to use, because the location in the cab would be the same as the wheel they go to.