Ultimate Subaru Message Board

part number for cd player adapter plate

Google "subaru in-dash installation kit DIN"

I just bought one of these for my wagon at a local Goodguys store (I haven't installed it yet, tho):

Scosche Subaru Multi-Purpose Rack Kit, 81-94

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=370530&catky=

I think this is for newer Subarus, but I don't know for sure:

Best Buy Subaru Multi In-Dash Installation Kit Model: 99-8900

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=1244530&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08291&id=1051384084088

Here's another:

Subaru Kit 1985-up, w/o trip computer, chassis sizes U & E, rack-mount

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1yV1kuaSrq0/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=003SBK930

Yea, South Bend is a long way from the big city lights!

The "Scosche SU2020B Subaru Multi-Purpose Rack Kit, 81-94" and the "AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL - SBK934 - 1980-1994 UNIVERSAL SUBARU IN-DASH CAR STEREO INSTALLATION KIT" as well as a kit by "Metra" (don't have part number) are not proprietary to any chain store (the Best Buy one is). You can try asking locally.

I bought the Scosche because I couldn't find one by Metra - which I heard was a better kit.

The Soosche kit looks like it will work for me, though.

Your best bet will probably to order something on-line or by phone.

I got a Metra for my sedan. Only problem was the stereo didn't have its metal frame (don't know the exact term) with it, so the kit doesn't support it so well. The people at the store said it was impossible to get the frames.

Fit and finish in the dash for this kit is great. They also do the wiring adapter. Came from a local stereo shop.

I finally got around to opening the Scosche SU2020B installation kit I purchased at "The GoodGuys".

I had said I wanted a Metra kit but couldn't find one. Surprize!! All the parts in the Scosche SU2020B kit are stamped "Metra"! One even has the Metra part number ( 99-8900) which I just noticed is the same part number Best Buy uses on their proprietary branded kit - so it's probably made by Metra as well.

I have an XT and I don't think that kit will work for me... is there any other kits?

There is no kit specifically for the XT that I know of. However, the factory stereo brackets will fit an aftermarket one just fine, and there is plenty of room for it in the dash. You'll just have a little tiny gap on the bottom right, hardly noticeable.

The main reason us GL owners need the kit is for depth- the Leone series dash is too shallow to accept a standard stereo, and the kit adds an extra inch of clearance.

The main reason us GL owners need the kit is for depth- the Leone series dash is too shallow to accept a standard stereo, and the kit adds an extra inch of clearance.

i was told by my brother that had an 83 hatch, was that there was a problem with the shifter hitting the stereo when he shifted to 3rd but then again he didn't use one of the nifty kits