Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lower gears, using stock drive & 31" tires ?

Scott in Bellingham

Yup, all that torque out of the engine is great, but if you can't get it through the clutch, what good is it? I've got the 9.5 pistons and the torque cams from Delta Camshaft and 185/80R13s and I can't get those tires moving when I'm burried to the undercarrage in sand!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, all that torque out of the engine is great, but if you can't get it through the clutch, what good is it? I've got the 9.5 pistons and the torque cams from Delta Camshaft and 185/80R13s and I can't get those tires moving when I'm burried to the undercarrage in sand!

It gets transferd through the clutch fine. And when you are burred in the sand you are stuck; 300:1 crawl ratio wont even save you... just dig you deeper. Sand is tricky like that.

I just ran the numbers through a crawl ratio equation. Even with 4.44 gears the crawl ratio is 23.37:1; currently my crawl ratio is 20.53:1. This wont be like putting on a real t-case. :(

I just ran the numbers through a crawl ratio equation. Even with 4.44 gears the crawl ratio is 23.37:1; currently my crawl ratio is 20.53:1. This wont be like putting on a real t-case. :(

A gain of less than 3? :eek:

T-case time. :D

P.S. A buddy offered me his basic sammi T-case for $75 deal? or not?

Yup, all that torque out of the engine is great, but if you can't get it through the clutch, what good is it?

Thats where you upgrade to the XT-6 clutch, or even the legacy clutch, but if you go legacy its reccomended that you machine the flywheel, or else it may not catch.

A gain of less than 3? :eek:

T-case time. :D

P.S. A buddy offered me his basic sammi T-case for $75 deal? or not?

Running a second t.case is the only way you are gonna get real gearing in these bugger'rus.

However it's more than just a t.case that's needed :(

If you got 2k to spend, on top of your T-case mod, use these

http://www.killeraxles.com/html/used_unimog_axles.html

Mucho gearing, mucho strenth, and an extra 3 inches on what ever you have for a lift, might try Pinzgauer Axles, lighter weight, and still way to robust and strong to break with an EA-J anything

unimog's are incredible, and much of that is because of the planetary reduction gears at the hubs, wouldn't that be awesome?! however, I really like the fact that my entire drivetrain is tucked mostly up in the unibody, t-casing is way down the line for me. but I'd still like better gearing. The Jeep guys would laugh at a regular ol' stock wrangler, and he's still got a much nicer crawl ration than I

I'll be in the market for a rebuilt/reworked tranny before too long (my synchros are not good) and was considering getting a front LSD from mudrat, but if someone finds a way to drop the gearing, I'd much prefer that!

If you got 2k to spend, on top of your T-case mod, use these

http://www.killeraxles.com/html/used_unimog_axles.html

Mucho gearing, mucho strenth, and an extra 3 inches on what ever you have for a lift, might try Pinzgauer Axles, lighter weight, and still way to robust and strong to break with an EA-J anything

No one is using the Unimog axles these days, the prices are dropping.

Everyone seems to be doing the Dana 60 routine, it's cheaper and easier to find parts.

• 5 months later...

What about replacing the gear for first gear with something that will lower it? Although there's not that much room to increase it's size it would seem like the easiest way to approach it. It might make for some interesting driving on the road ( going from a really slow first to second ) but for a mostly offroad rig it would be worth it.

What about replacing the gear for first gear with something that will lower it? Although there's not that much room to increase it's size it would seem like the easiest way to approach it. It might make for some interesting driving on the road ( going from a really slow first to second ) but for a mostly offroad rig it would be worth it.

that would be great if theres a way to do that

I hear all this nissan t-case mumbo jumbo about puting it on subarus. Where does the t-case come from and what i mean by that is off of what and what does it take to do the converstion i might be interested in that. Would it even work on a newer gen 94 imp?

you add a traditional transfer case behind the stock tranny. much like it would work in a truck or jeep. this requires quite a bit of modification, as the tcase needs somewhere to mount, which means you have to essentially build an entire frame under it. Also, you have to lift the car enough that you can put a second diff under the tranny. which means at least 8"

this 'could' be done on an imp, but I'm sure it would be very difficult. it's been done repeatedly on EA81's, but only 2 or 3 times on EA82. even the extra complexity of an EA82 makes it much more difficult. so I'm sure it would be very hard on an imp. not to mention that the stock tranny would have to be modified to send all of the power out the rear output. Mudrat did this when using an EJ AT in his EA81 hatch, but it required pretty extensive modification. or, swap in an EA D/R tranny, which would give you the second lo-range reduction, but also open a whole new can of worms as far as modification goes.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it'd be pretty darn tough.

• 4 weeks later...

Does the VW gearbox use CVs or does it have a tailshaft? If a tailshaft, then a VW gearbox might be a better option to run a divorced transfer case as they're pretty tough. Although being mounted at the rear the gears would probably be the wrong way around ?

Yeah I think you're right about them being driven by CVs. Here's another option, I've heard of RX7 engines being mated to subaru gearboxes in a subaru ... you could in theory do the opposite then? use the rx7 gearbox attached to a subaru engine with the tailshaft going to a divorced transfer case?

Yeah I think you're right about them being driven by CVs. Here's another option, I've heard of RX7 engines being mated to subaru gearboxes in a subaru ... you could in theory do the opposite then? use the rx7 gearbox attached to a subaru engine with the tailshaft going to a divorced transfer case?

why?

just use the stock box in 4WD, then you have 2 lo ranges.....

I'm thinking a transverse FWD car, with 2 of the long-side CV axles....