Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are Blizzaks really that good?

Nokian Hakkapalittas (not sure if I spelled that correctly) are a better long term tire. Lots of tests have been done comparing Hakkas and Blizzaks, and basically the Blizzaks appear to be a little bit better when new, but as they wear Blizzaks performance falls off where the Hakkas stay stong. I've run hakkas on every subaru I've ever owned and they will take you anywhere in the snow.

Keith

I prefer studded tires in winter, but then again I drive on roads that are covered in ice/snow for 4-6 months of the year.

On a 0-10 scale, this is how I'd rate tires for winter use:

0 - Old, bald tires

1 -

2 - Heavily-worn tires

3 -

4 -

5 - Decent all-season tires

6 - Siped all-season tires

7 - Generic winter tires

8 - Blizzak

9 - Nokian

10 - Studded tires

However, if you're driving lots on bare pavement, or doing lots of highway driving, you can throw studs off a studded tire. The Nokians are great from what I've heard, but I can get studded tires for about 1/2 the price up here, and they work the best in my climate/conditions.

Another excellent choice (IMO) is the Yokohama Guardex K2 F720 (quite a mouthful). I've used them for two winters now and one snow run and they're incredible. I run them 365 days a year, and even with their ultra-soft compound, after 35,000 miles, there's still plenty of tread. I've been very happy with them.