Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Burnt oil, no pressure. HELP

What's wrong with my car?

On the coolest summer day and normal driving, I look down to see no oil pressure at spped and high temp. Pull over. Coolant has been shot under hood and out the front grill. Not like a hose breaking though. Res. still full. Oil still full. Smokey steam with rubber smell dissipating from engine, especially from oil filter area.

Let it cool off. Started. VERY rough idle at 1/2 normal RPM. Block shaking. Abnormal tap/thump felt with hand thru oil filler tube. Oil pressure increased with RPM (like normal).

Wait 2 days. Starts like a champ. High (3/4 gauge) oil pressure (normal when cold). Drive for 10 miles. Pressure good. Temp cool. Stalls at light. Lots of smoke.

Waiting for tow truck to drop it off.

Timing belt? Oil pump? Head gasket? Dead engine? Help...

--Ed

I don't know about yours (what is it?) but my '84 EA81 had a little coolant hose next to the distributor start leaking. It got the dizzy wet and made it miss.

That's not my problem...

EA82T, 1988 RX, 215K miles

Just got it towed home. Runs perfect on start-up. Coolant smells like exhaust and oil smells like rubber. There is a lot of newly leaked oil (not on ground) below timing covers and oil filter connection.

Oil pump going bad? Mickey-mouse leaking and making timing belt slip? Cracked block? Do I need a special pulley tool to get to timing belts?

there is a coolant line [passanger side along with oil line ] that goes from steel line to rubber hose ,underneith the turbo , this could need replacing ,mine did
That's in (relatively) good condition too... When I got the car 8 months and 45K miles ago, the coolant res was full of oil. The enine burns oil (about 1 quart every 400 miles) and coolant. Coolant looks like milk. I haven't changed it since I got the car, just keep adding plain water, no antifreeze.

Sounds like a blown head gasket. Seems like you're one of the lucky fellows who had a slow leak instead of a sudden catastrophic failure.

It has been like that for at least the 40,000 miles I've had it.

Seems to run fine until warm, then oil pressure drops, coolant temp rises, smoke comes out, and it stalls at well over 1k rpm.

I'll start with a look behind the timing covers today.

Compression has not been checked.

I suspected a bad headgasket when I got it. Did it finally blow through after 45000 miles of me driving it?

UPDATE: The burning rubber smell was burnt oil. Oil was changed 1 or 2 days before the first failure. It is now dark brown and stinky. There are dust-sized grey semi-shiny particles too -- either micro-shavings or radiator stop-leak...

probably much easier to do wit engine out.

But how much tougher would it be with the engine in?

I NEED to get it running asap. Just gonna do one side headgasket.

Do you have to take the valves out before removing head from block, or do they detetch as a unit?