Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Xt6 Abs

I only just discovered that the XT6 was available with ABS brakes.

Is anyone with one able to post up pix of the rear sensor setup & also the engine bay setup for the ABS motor & controller.

I've fitted 93 WRX front hubs (with the ABS sensors removed) to my 88 wagon, but would like to now retrofit the entire system.

Also, how hard are the necessary parts to get?

Thanks

The Oz Vortex never had ABS (otherwise I would've known about it before now) & we didn't get the XT6 either.

The reason I'm asking is because a friend just had imported from Japan an XT6 & he says its got ABS but I can't get to it to have a look & he doesn't have a camera to send me pix.

abs is not the coolest mod i have ever heard of. especialy early 90s systems

I don't intend fitting the entire system, just the rear wheel sensors. The rest of it would come from a later Oz spec car (the best ABS you can get, everyone tests their ABS systems here now)

Are they that rare?

Downshift....

Let me explain the seriousness of the project I'm building:

88 wagon, 93 JDM EJ20T (TDO5H), 92 Aus W-A intercooler, 00 Aus gearbox, 93 Aus Rear LSD, 99 Sti 4 spot front calipers, ...

My starting point is 185 FW kw, & there's that many custom mods to the front of the car to get all this in that even if I touch another car, it'll probably be a write-off.

So the last thing I need is some ^@#^& in traffic changing lanes on me suddenly (like a truck did 2 days ago squeezing me between it & the kerb)

i wouldn't bother looking for an ABS XT6, never heard of one. there are 500 members on the XT6 boards so either noone has ABS or they all work flawlessly! i've had about 10 of these things and worked on/looked at others and none have ever had ABS. if they did offer it, good luck finding one as i've looked at dozens and know for sure none have ever had ABS.

Gary, OZ got imported Soobs that we never got. They just might have something that was JDM that made its way there. If it was me, I would be looking into some bigger rotors to go with the larger brake calipers. I have new brakes all the way round on my XT6 and when I tap the brakes your eyes almost bug out.

Gary, OZ got imported Soobs that we never got. They just might have something that was JDM that made its way there. If it was me, I would be looking into some bigger rotors to go with the larger brake calipers. I have new brakes all the way round on my XT6 and when I tap the brakes your eyes almost bug out.

Actually, apart from us getting the EJ20T Liberty (Legacy) & the early WRX's, you'll probably find that the US got a better range of Subies than we did. All to do with market size.

eg, we didn't get a 2 door hatchback of any kind, didn't get the XT6, stopped receiving cars with the EA82T after 87, didn't get EA81T, NA EA82 EFI 89 & 90 only....

My mate's XT6 was only just imported 2nd hand from Japan.

I'm not sure what dual-range trannies you got.

We didn't get any full-time 4wd gearboxes prior to the Liberty/Legacy.

The Liberty low range is useless.

We got a twin-turbo auto only Liberty from 98, but now they're single-turbo too.

Subaru Australia has to be careful with what models they bring out otherwise they take their own sales away.

eg when the Liberty came out in 89/90, we stopped getting GL Leone's.

When the WRX came out in 94, we stopped getting RS Turbo Liberties.

Now, they sell themselves & you can't bargain for a lower than sticker price (mind you, they hold 2nd hand value really well)

• 3 months later...

I need to revive this thread to correct myself and set the record straight.

Apparently, JDM-only XT6's WERE available with ABS. Read the article here: http://xt6.net/forum/files/july_2087_20motor_20magazine.jpg This is one more indication that the XT6 was really in-between the EA and EJ series cars, as ABS was introduced on the USDM Legacy in 1990. No USDM EA Subaru ever got ABS.

One of my mates has recently got one here. It should be registered on the weekend, that's why I was asking.

I'm glad they've moved on from the 2 channel version of the ABS though.

The hill holder going into activation while trying to reverse down a gravel hill is bad enough.

Were the early Legacy ABS 3 channel (ie grouping rear wheels) or 4?

Aust didn't get ABS until the series 2 version of the Gen I, & no airbags until the Gen II.