Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Brat about to be crushed in CO

Bastids... They have a beautiful TURBO BRAT sitting behind the fence to come into the yard. After I clean up, because its like complete... says Turbo on the mirrors and the sides under the BRAT like no rust at all.... I go ask the guy if I can buy it.:brow: The guys like... "no.. were gonna blow that one up!" My jaw hit the floor... "Blow it up?!?!?! thats like THE RAREST Subaru of the early 80s!!!" And he comes back with "I know.. and its turbo to boot! but it'll be back in a few weeks for parts..." then he grins..." but I doubt that the motor will be any good" I asked him again to buy it, but he said that they didnt currently have a dealers lisence and could not... After I restrained my self from just jumping the counter and killing the guy, I left and complained about how much of an arse he was to my friend for the rest of the day...:banghead:

that totally sucks.. what an ARSE ... Dealers license my ARSE. I bought an XT6 from a u-pull-it in the same exact situation you just described... I had to jump through hoops and get a sheriff to come do a "vin inspection" to get the title switched out of New Mexico.. but that was it.. the guy was an arse about the whole situation.. but he still sold it to me. No salvage title or anything. Some people should just be punched in the face though.. I bet if you started waving cash in front of their face that they would reconsider.

That really sucks I have not gotten a chance to go to pns in about 3 weeks.I really would love to have one of those.I hate it when they do stuff like that.It is like hanging a big juicy 30 oz steak in front of me.Well we should both go over there and beat some sense into them . Just kidding,but seriously I feel your pain!:banghead:

Unbelievable!

You have to get that Brat! Every man has a price, and this guy is in business, you just have to find the right angle.

Just how much do you have to dismantle the Brat to justify that you are not buying a brat, but "a large quantity of Brat parts"?

I mean if they pull the motor and tranny, can you buy those and then come back and buy the rest as the "rolling chassis"?

There has to be a way to get that thing out of there. Keep asking, if need be, get a bunchof people to ask. If you want, I'll call them and ask them a bunch of questions.

Not that I am going to buy the thing, but just in the interest of saving it from the crusher.

Oh, almost forgot. If the guy that you talked to was just some guy working the counter, find a way to talk to the boss. I would have to imagine if the person in charge knew that there was a buyer interested in paying a sum of cash for a car and that no labor would be required on the part of the yard he might find a way to sell it to you. from a business perspective, the yard boss would not have to pay the counter guy's hourly wage while he "blew it up". rather, the money to pay the guy's wage could be paid while he actually did some work.

Just an idea.

dude, sometimes you have to just make the time, call out of work sick if you have to, get your friends together and have em beat sensless the guy thats wants to destroy the brat. do what ever it takes. take no prisoners. its a freaking turbo brat, you have no excuses when it comes to rescueing it.

get off your duff, get your friends together, get money, talk to the manager with a fistfull or cash.

cash speaks louder than words can ever try.

I called the place yesterday. I said that I was in VA and unable to come to the yard in person, but that I was very interested in buying the brat that a friend told me was in this yard. I said that I understood that it was not thier policy to discuss what parts they had over the phone and asked if they might make an exception in this case because I was calling form the East Coast. I talked to a guy named Sergio. He had a Mexican accent and was very patient, considerate, and nice. He said that he would go and check about the Brat if I could call him back in 10 minutes. As luck would have it I got swamped at work and never got back to him.

There are enough Subaru guys in Colorado that you guys should be able to handle this. No offense, but there is only so much I can do from VA. If this thing were in VA, NC, DC, MD I would be all over it. Not be a jerk, but just get the damned thing and quit making excuses. You'll be glad you did, and my comments won't seem as harsh and presumptuous when you are looking at your new turbo brat in the driveway.

Your mission is clear! Do or do not, there is no try! Use the force! You can do it (to be read with William Hung accent)!!!!

... I asked him again to buy it, but he said that they didnt currently have a dealers lisence and could not...

Well, here in my little corner of doG's country, the State requires a Dismantler to have a Dismantler's License, a Dealer to have a Dealer's License, and a repair shop most have a Repair License... each requiring around a $30K bond to be posted. Since a Dismantler makes far more money off of the bones than selling something whole, I can understand why they may not bother to get a Dealer's License.

Knowing doesn't make me happier, though.

I did go to pns and call them several times.I got the same answer all the time from the manager and he said that they couldn't sell the car as it had no title,then I asked about the bare shell asuming stuff would be stripped off of it and he said the same thing.I then tried the "it will only be a trail vehicle" aproach and the guy the just laughed at me and said "Why the all the trouble for that piece of s#*%". I was just thinking what is up with this guy! He seemed enjoy telling me about if I wanted to see it crushed he would do it right away!Ya really nice guy!Sucks but I don't think they will sell it. I also asked about getting a salvage title and he said he would call me back on monday. Lets hope he does.

Dude, not to beat a dead horse, but did you ask for Sergio?

This guy that you have been in contact with is obviously a jerk and you aren't going to get anywhere with him. You know the old saying about arguing with fools, from a distance its hard to tell who is who....

Good luck. Don't give up!

I did go to pns and call them several times.I got the same answer all the time from the manager and he said that they couldn't sell the car as it had no title,then I asked about the bare shell asuming stuff would be stripped off of it and he said the same thing.I then tried the "it will only be a trail vehicle" aproach and the guy the just laughed at me and said "Why the all the trouble for that piece of s#*%". I was just thinking what is up with this guy! He seemed enjoy telling me about if I wanted to see it crushed he would do it right away!Ya really nice guy!Sucks but I don't think they will sell it. I also asked about getting a salvage title and he said he would call me back on monday. Lets hope he does.

I would but.... This is the third EA81T in this yard in 2 months... and I have a love of XTs and not earlier stuffs so I have no use for it... but anyone else in CO... PNS has the best prices on complete engines so I would agree that if you need it, this is a good choice.