Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine's Out

that's one dirty motor!

hey man, while you're at it... don't forget to check for play in shafts of the turbo.

It was dirty with 16.5 years and over 200k miles. Then I went off-roading with some local board members, including a hood-deep mud pond. I still have dried clay-mud lodged in every open area, after removing a couple dozen dustpans worth.

I will be checking the turbo.

Dang, nice going Ed. You will have to let me know how the delta cams work out in the tubo engine. That may be a nice future mod for me. Also, I would definatly try and get some of that engine bay cleaned up, looks like mine now.

You are going to have one mean rx. It will be pretty cool to see it at the meet.

Ed:

Looks like you are making a lot of progress. I'll keep my fingers crossed (but wont' hold my breath) on those heads. I PM'd you regarding the parts you asked about. Definitely can be done if you are serious. Also, still have lots of turbo stuff lying around.

Some of us might be getting together Sunday. Maybe we can run out to your place, or you are welcome to stop by my place.

John

Any feedback on the wet cylinders? It was hot enough to make the oil smell burnt, are the rings gone? I didn't comp. test it.

Make sure when you put the head bolts back in you use some kind of molly grease. I would replace them as well.
Why moly grease? What about anti-sieze?

For new bolts would I go to SOA or a hardware shop like maybe Fastenal?

RC engineering has a package on the way. T-stat acquired. Still no OE parts...

After getting the springs off, I looked at the stem tops. (Might be wrong term, not valves, but the tops of tunnel in head). On one head an exhaust top is sitting lower (far left in pic). Both intakes are low, but even, I think normal. Could it have been pushed when compressing spring? Was it bad before? Will it go back?

valve_height.jpg

On the other head an exhaust top has no valve stem seal (rubber with ring spring), just the metal top. But they sit at the same height because the one with a seal is further into the head. (pics go Good, Bad, Top of Bad)

vss_good.jpgvss_bad.jpg

vss_bad_top.jpg

How bad is this?

Just a suggestion since you got it this far apart .....may want to rering the pistons.I thought also with it this far apart maybe clean up you ports on the heads.Definately a easy way to gain a little extra hp especially since you got new cams.The two together would just complement each other....especially on a turbo motor if you plan on boosting it up a bit.Cheers!:drunk: