Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine's Out

Mizpah HVLA's arrived.

Minor rust on frame under fender removed and cold galvanize painted.

All parts to be painted are primed.

Broke a bolt extractor removing the first screw holding bumper cover on, after 4 PB Blaster overnight soaks.

Heads to machine shop tomorrow.

Some parts on the way.

about the valve guides. When you take your heads to the machine shop ask them about it. That seems really weird that they are different hieghts. It almost looks like the retainer on the top of the valve stem was hitting the valve guide seal? Maybe your valve guide is starting to slip? Good luck Definatly clear up the threads on the block and the head bolts! If they are gunked up you will get the wrong torque after you put the heads on.

• 2 weeks later...

All parts are finally on the way.

But... machine shop called and said both my heads have cracks into the exhaust ports. Must have been very very hot and that's what made my valve guides move too. So now I just need to find a pair of good gen 3 turbo heads...:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

run the fram for a little bit, i always change the oil quickly after having the motor open for anything anyway.

how did you get the subaru letters colored differently on the valve covers? probably really simple but i know nothing about paint. looks cool though, probably gives it about 8hp wouldn't you say?

and the cracks between the valve seats are very common on EA82 and ER27 motors. you'd be hard pressed to pull one of these motors apart and not find at least one crack there on any of these motors on the road today. nearly everyone i pull the heads on has this, and they're all NA motors.

[quote name='grossgary']run the fram for a little bit, i always change the oil quickly after having the motor open for anything anyway.[/quote]
Good tip - that's why it was only gonna be on for a few minutes.

[quote name='grossgary']how did you get the subaru letters colored differently on the valve covers? probably really simple but i know nothing about paint. looks cool though, probably gives it about 8hp wouldn't you say?[/quote]
[quote name='DrKrazy']Indeed that's one heck of a job on the painting. Can tell you took your time and did it right. Looks great.[/quote]
Time, time, and more time. Waaaaay too much time. Masked off with little pieces of masking tape then vaseline on a toothpick. Didn't come out perfectly - there are actually chunks of primer and bare metal showing in the letters, but you can't tell from an angle.
I think each valve cover will give me 2 hp, but everything combined might hit 10-12 (there's more you haven't seen yet). Should be good for 15-20 once it's intercooled. I'm gonna have to start a new thread soon....

oh my scat, i was thinking there was a simple painters trick or something. looks great though! and black is wonderful since those valve cover grommets like to seep all the time anyway even after replacement...stains won't show on black!

are the cam sprockets painted or powder coated?

what kind of paint? i used blue on mine, but it's not very durable i don't believe.

are the cam sprockets painted or powder coated?

what kind of paint? i used blue on mine, but it's not very durable i don't believe.

Everything is Dupicolor Engine Enamel High Heat (500*). I'm getting some accidental bumpage as I'm putting stuff together. Parts that got primer are holding up very well, but parts with just paint will chip and flake easily. I have a nice 1/4 x 1" chunk missing from the center area of one of the cam sprockets. I picked up some spares at the yard to have powder coated in the (distant) future.

so is it done and installed yet? How is the leg doing? feeling normal now?

The legs great, thanks for asking. It's been fine for a while, very minor break. I can't wait to trade the Tempo for the RX. I need to check out your "new" ride too.

Here's it is at the moment. Gotta run all new PCV hoses now. The old ones are hard, brittle, and full of chunks.

engine_sat.jpg

I lost nearly 2 hours trying to fix one of the solenoids (the one closer to fuel rail). My original one had the vac fittings broken off. Found one at a yard. Cleaned it up and had it in the 'ready to go' pile. I go to bolt it on and a wire breaks near the base. I give it a couple attempts at crimping, then got it soldered. When I go to use it again, the other wire breaks. I "excavate" more wire from the casing and crimp it (I haven't found a good way to solder stranded wire - especially copper). Mount it temporarily to get all my hose routings right. Get the TB bolted on, wire breaks at base when I move the harness. grr. Back to work for a little while...

• 2 weeks later...

Engine finally went in Saturday. Right now the passenger side is complete except for downpipe, heatshield, and EVAP. Center/rear is all hooked up, clutch and hill holder probably need adjusted. I have a socket prepared for head bolt retorquing. Any pointers on that? Will oil come out when the valve covers get taken off?

The rubber radiator grommets had to be modified to account for the arch in the radiator support obtained while off-roading. There will be no EGR solenoid for a while. Skirts and other stuff probably won't be completed for the first drive.

I hope it starts the first time... :rolleyes: