Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie post

First I would like to say everyone here is pretty nice and everyone seems to want to help out, I was suprised to find out there are this many people who are into subaru's, I recently purchased my first Subie(88 gl wagon) and unfortunately I cracked the heads pretty badly shortly thereafter. So what do I do? I buy another Subie! This one is an 83 GL wagon that could use some love, there is alot of rust(seems common, lol) and some other minor issues. What I would like to do is keep this car going until I can finish the repairs on my 88 GL. After I get the 88 back on the road, I plan on making the 83 my beat it up mudwagon. Thats where you guys come in. I am not only new to Subies I am also an inexperienced hack when it comes to car repair. So I hope all of you guys will bear with me and show some patience with my ignorant questions, and anyone living in western nc or southern va that would like to lend a hand is welcome to pm me. BTW anyone got a fuel filler pipe/tube (and possibly a gas tank) laying around? Thanks in advance:)

how did you deduce the heads are cracked? let me guess, non turbo, popped a head gasket. took off the heads and behold, the infamous crack between the valves. those cracks are normal, heads are likely good

cracked heads in the true sense would be cracks in the exhaust port, engine runs fine but loses coolant out the exhaust

get a set of head gaskets and be good to go