Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Mystifying Problem ... Any Wisdom Out There ?

I have a 1992 Subaru SVX with about 95,000 miles on it, pretty well maintained.

For a month or so now I have the strangest problem .. very unpredictably, the engine will just shut down while driving, a little more often when the car is warmed up ... I can shift into neutral and retart, and it's continue on just fine. Sometimes, when i restart it it kind of harrumphs / coughs a bit and dies .. and it may take 5 or even 10 restarts before it catches .. when it harrumphs / coughs, it *feels* like it's realted to the fuel injection or fuel pump. And sometimes when I restart it and then shift into Drive, it's just as I apply pressure to the gas pedal that it dies, which makes me think it is related to the fuel pump or fuel injection.

The car runs fine, but this unpredictable shutting down happens quite regularly .. I'd say once or twice in every 3 to 5 mile trip *I don't drive the car further than that, really ,,, mainly because I don't want to get stranded anywhere.

I've had it into the garage, and they connected it to the computer and no problems showed up .. and one other time left it running outside a mechanics garage for about an hour .. tends to run just fine while idling.

I suppose it may be some electrical thing, with maybe an exposed wired touching something that would cause the shut-down while driving, but that wouldn't really explaining the coughing, as if the fuel pump or line were clogged, when restarting it.

Any ideas, or suggestions as to where to look ?

Does it seem to happen at a specific throttle position? Maybe a TPS issue? I dunno, never heard of that shutting a car off. What about power going up hills after car is warm? OK there? Sometimes I think crank sensors can begin failing this way too. Any codes stored?

I dunno - just some guesses.

Carl

Does this car have a distrubuter or a coil pack?

It sounds like what ever controls the coil, si on its way out. I had this issue for about a month, it drove me up the wall, and there was no rhyme or reason to it. Finally the pickup in the dist quit, and that was it. Fuel starvation tends to sputter to a stall from starvation, but this sounds like the spark just dies.

nipper