Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 imprezia transmission problem

I bought a used 98 Imprezia with 110,000 on it and after driving for 1,500 miles I have transmission problems. When in (D) the transmission seems to be stuck in 3rd gear. When manually putting into 1, 2, or 3rd gear It never downshifts. When sloing down it does try to downshift but thats it. I just hope that I did not get a lemon. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...
Any idea when the last time the transmission fluid was changed?

I'd start with that. Maybe something got gummed up in the valve body.

I did change the transmission fluid back in 95 it seemed to help a little but it never curred the problem.

Well the problem never went away matter of fact it is still there. Here is more info on the problem.

When the temperature outside is around 80 and the car has been sitting in the hot sun all day after initial start of the car the transmission is stuck in 3rd. It stays this way until something is cooled off from either drivinf down the road or circulating thru the radiator. After about 5 minutes of drive time I stop the car turn it off and restart it and then everythinng is ok. I can drive the car all winter long and have no issues and today was the first warm/hot day of the year and had problems with it.

Question is what could make the tranny act like this? It definitley has something to do with ambient temperature.:dead:

The first couple of minutes when stuck in 3rd is had on the tranny/motor.

what is limp mode?
This should answer a lot of questions: http://endwrench.com/pdf/feb2004pdf/4EAT.pdf

If the trans is going into a fail-safe (limp) mode, it would normally be indicated by the AT Oil Temp light on the dash illuminating/blinking. If it isn't, perhaps it's burned out or has been disabled. Does it come on when you turn the ignition switch on (without starting the engine)? Does it remain on for about two seconds after the engine is started, then go off?

This should answer a lot of questions: http://endwrench.com/pdf/feb2004pdf/4EAT.pdf

If the trans is going into a fail-safe (limp) mode, it would normally be indicated by the AT Oil Temp light on the dash illuminating/blinking. If it isn't, perhaps it's burned out or has been disabled. Does it come on when you turn the ignition switch on (without starting the engine)? Does it remain on for about two seconds after the engine is started, then go off?

The light comes on. After engine start it goes out n 2 seconds.

You need to read all the codes in the car. You have a bad sensorsomeplace. The car is stuck in limp mode.

Does your CEL work? Does your transmission temp light work ?

nipper

the cel actually came on the other day when this happened. I just checked the at light and now the cel is ok.

Is ther ea way to check the codes without using an obd device?