Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FINALLY got EGT gauge installed

Today I finally got my EGT gauge installed. Ended up doing it myself!

It's been pending for over a month. I took my car to a local WRX/Subaru performance shop to install a GReddy gauge, the tech drilled and tapped the header and installed it, but it didn't seem to work, at all.

So, he took it out, stumped, and told me he would order another gauge and call me when it came in.

Fast forward three weeks. No call. Gauge apparently is on backorder. So, I call the shop and tell them I'm buying my own and will bring it to install. I buy a gauge on eBay and set up a appointment to get the thing installed today.

Yesterday I call and the shop to confirm and they cancel my appointment, claiming that the tech has to go to the doctor. I get rather frustrated, since I set the appointment up a week and a half ago. So, I decide to install it myself.

Installing it was easy, since all the work of drilling and tapping the header had been done. When I finished, I started the car but the gauge didn't move.

It wasn't until I drove it around that I realized that at idle, my EGT's are REALLY low, under 300 C (572 F). Must be because it runs so rich at idle. I felt bad - when the tech installed it originally, the gauge was probably working perfectly, but since he just revved the engine without load, the EGT's never went above the minimum mark on the gauge, so the gauge looked dead.

At WOT, max boost in 4th gear the reading was about 790 C (1450 F). Not too bad. I did turn down the boost at the Dragon in June to 9 psi to play it safe, and it seems that 9psi is indeed safe with my setup.

When I get home, I'm going to bump it up to 11 psi again and see what the EGT readings are, so I can get a baseline to play with once I get my VW 5th injector plumbed in, and then the fireworks will REALLY start :brow:

Anyway, does anyone know what the nominal EGT readings should be for a stock EA82T?

where exataly did you have it installed?

My idea is to take an xt header and use the O2 port on the drivers side to mount the thermocouple. Not sure what the threads are I guess I will have to see if they are compatible.

I think you just established the normal EGT.

where exataly did you have it installed?

My idea is to take an xt header and use the O2 port on the drivers side to mount the thermocouple. Not sure what the threads are I guess I will have to see if they are compatible.

I think you just established the normal EGT.

I have it about an inch from the exhaust port, passenger side (usually the side that blows!)

I don't know about "normal", though, since I have a decent list of mods on this engine including a different turbo at higher pressure... lol