Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gen1 ej22 question

tailgatewagon

ok so im thinking of doing this to a wagon i just bought. its an 78 wagon. very near mint and all but the motor is tired.

here is what i was thinking..

ej22

dr 5speed

i will use the orignal dash and wiring for the most part and will run two wiring harnesses one for th motor and one for the car. i was thinking about just moding the legacy wiring to work with everything but am unshure if i want to takel that bizash. anyway. i know fitment will be close and may require some frame mods to the front also it will need custom trany mount and what not.

anyway what you do all think......

aside from the frame mods, the wiring will be the only other hairy part, and that will mostly be due to the EJ22... an old wagon like that won't even have much of an electrical system - the amount of EJ22 wiring you'll discard will be more than the whole '78 even has.

DO IT.

It's a fun setup in my 79 brat, the engine fittment issues will be interesting, it depends on if you body lift the car or not. With 3" lift the frame had to go in ~1" on both sides, without any lift the frame will take the motor, but then the brake booster/ master cylnder gets really close. I know garner made his ea82t fit the brakes, but he frenched the frame... although the ea82t is wider and not as deep as the ej.

If you work everything out right the d/r 5spd driveline will even fit...

the shifter linkage was fun too

also be thinking about front suspension, stock setup will be really soft with all that extra motor and trans.

If I ever get my ride street legal I'll have to run it up to bozo town.

later on

• 2 years later...

yes mine is in, and no it doesn't really fit...:rolleyes:

about half an inch is needed on either side without lifting. to fit the d/r 5speed in there you need to delete about half the middle section of the trans xmember or cut out the entire centre. problem with this is you lose the swaybar.

wiring isn't to bad as the brat only has 2 engine plugs once you delete all the ignition stuff by the battery. i would say its almost easier than doing ea82 as far as wiring because the brat doesn't have any wiring to deal with in the first place. i plumped all my wiring down into the passenger cubby area so i can access my pp6 and wideband. (i'm not going to run stock motor, hence the tuning software)

the transmission is a VERY tight fit in the tunnel. i could not get the transmission mated to the engine while it was in the car so i had to do it all together...

here is a couple pics...

IMGP2789.jpg

IMGP3017.jpg

IMGP3043.jpg

aaand a movie of starting it up after cleaning up the wiring a ton...

th_IMGP3052.jpg

Would that be the same as far as a gen 1 Brat with the ea81? Or are they the same as far as how they mount up? (gen 1 Brat with ea71/ea81)

^^^from my research, not even close... the ea71 transmission xmember sits way further back than a ea82 or ej xmember...

the only way i could see it working is if you had the trans xmember from an 81 brat which came with ea81 running gear in it to start with...

that odd ball crossover year might make it easier to fit...

the only way i could see it working is if you had the trans xmember from an 81 brat which came with ea81 running gear in it to start with...

that odd ball crossover year might make it easier to fit...

Thanks. I have two 81 Brats that came with the ea81 standard. I just am unsure as to how or what was changed between the 1981 brats with the ea71 as compared to ones with the ea81.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I'm getting all interested in doing something to my brumby, not immediately, but one day. Gathering info at the moment so....

Ej22, with an ej manual box. No lift. I realize there may be chassis rail cutting needed to clear the heads, but will the box fit? And what makes the ea81 and EA71 crossmembers different?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Anyone make progress on their gen 1 EJ swaps? All I've done is day dream.

mine has been put on hold once again due to insane amount of snow... my car tent collapsed on my brat... :(

That thing has lasted 3 years and with me cleaning it off twice a day it still fell. There was so much snow that after i brushed it off the snow level was at the height of the tent so when it snowed again there was no place to brush it to!!!

either way, i wanna jump back into it after the snow melts (buried under more snow and multiple tarps...)