Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3rd eye busted

nope, nothing. it would be cool to get the light working again. when i hit the switch on low beams the dash dosn't say anything but when i hit the highbeams and hit the center light switch it sais in blue letters that that light is on..bt it dosn't work...just sais it does.

Yeah.. the 3rd eye comes on with the high beams... at least thats how it was wired in my '82 GL.. had to be on high beams... as for it not coming on.. i would suspect: Motor, wiring, fuse? ... I think if it was the fuse the dash light wouldn't come on though. Can you tell if the light itself is on and just the door isn't popping up??? Can you disconnect it and "hot" wire it to the battery for a second to see if it's working??? Best of luck... gotta love the "Passing Lamp"! :brow:

Thinking I have the wiring diagram here, somewhere,,, I'll have to look for it.

On my '82 BRAT, the relay for the 3rd eye is Black, and mounts on the PS strut tower, right next to the inner fender. BRAT is also equippped with AC, and was orinally a California BRAT, has a few more relays mounted in that area, so yours may be mounted differently, but in that area.

Mine didn't work when I 1st got it. Found that the bulb worked, but the door didn't. Pulled the whole thing out of the BRAT, and found one of the wires had broken/corroded off where it connects to the motor itself. A little cleaning and some solder, it be good to go now. Bulb and door motor are controlled by the relay, not sure right now how switch light gets its power when it's in the "on" position.