Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Huh. Interesting distributor failure (with pics)

Two weekends ago, my Subaru was cranky to start, but once it fired up it was fine all weekend. It had a nasty miss when I first started it, but a quick blip to 4000 RPM and it was perfectly happy for the rest of the weekend.

I tried to take it to Ames this weekend, and it started, did it's high idle warmup, and then died. I tried to restart it, and it wouldn't start. It would occasionally sputter, but nothing resembling running.

The coils are known for going out and causing trouble. so I threw a timing light on the output of the coil. Solid pulses, no missing. I threw it on a plug wire, and got occasional flashes but nothing solid enough to actually make the engine run. At this point, I left for Ames in the other car, because I was late enough as is, and there wasn't any way I was likely to fix a distributor problem in 5 minutes.

Come back from Ames, pull the distributor off, and... wow. I think I found the problem.

dscf0283.sized.jpg

The center contact was laying in the bottom of the housing.

dscf0284.sized.jpg

dscf0285.sized.jpg

This is on a 6 month old cap with under 10k miles on it. Fortunately, it's under warranty.

-=Russ=-

Yea, I know. I think some of the debris is from the charred center electrode. It's just about 6 months old (I replaced it when I got the car).

I'm pondering keeping a spare in the car, though. I'll get the warranty replacement, because it's free, and I might snag another one just in case it does this again. It's not like it's difficult to replace, and I'm well into "shouldn't be spending money on stuff" right now.

-=Russ=-