Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad Miss on the Highway

Yesturday I was driving home from work doing my usual speeds, as I was going up a big hill (hwy 26) I downshifted to 4th to pass a truck and as soon as the RPM's got up to about 4000rpm (not WOT) and I wasn't in Boost, the car suddenly fell flat on its face for 1 second, then returned to normal. I put it back in 5th for a few seconds thinking what the hell that was, then I put it back in 4th and this time hit WOT and got into full boost and it did the exact same thing again.

I have been having very light surging issues latly at cruise speeds and on initial startup the idle is rough for about 30 seconds then smooths out.

It kind of felt like my Chevy Tahoe did when it was getting starved for fuel at WOT (fuel pump was bad)

I've replaced :

Ignition Coil

Ignition Module/Ignitor

Cap & Rotor

Fuel Filter

Spark Plugs and Wires

I'm at a loss.

Check your cap & rotor again. I just figured out the reason my Subaru was running like crap (missing badly on startup, if it would run long enough it would smooth out, but still didn't run great) was because the button in the center of the distributor cap came out and there was a nice gap (slowly widening as the bits and pieces eroded away) in the way.

-=Russ=-

where is the boost gauge tapped in?

I would put it in the line to the waste gate and check it there.

I can not imagine being at 4k RPM and not having any boost

as you say.

Do as you wish but I would take a look at the wastegate

and it's plumbing.

What you describe is classic fuel cut feel.

• 4 weeks later...

That is certainly good to hear. My GL-10 did something similar to that to me once. I had downshifted to pass a slow moving vehicle and all of a sudden there is a big whooosh sound(which is never good)and it feels as though the car has no power. So I pulled over to see what the heck the deal was. No sooner do I pop the hood, steam and coolant starts coming from what appeared to be the intake manifold. So I got kinda irritated and started trying to locate the source. Well, come to find out one of the age old coolant lines that run underneath the manifold had split and gotten about a 1/16" hole in it. Luckily I wasn't far from home, and there was plenty of coolant in the radiator and overflow tank, so I was able to limp it home and fix it. I replaced it and all the other little hoses that same night to safeguard against a repeat of this event.