Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The resurection of another Suby (56k no way)

So, after a few weeks of trying to get into contact with its owner, I was finally able to save another suby. Alleyboy is its new owner now for $200, and here is its story.

The suby which now has a home is a 87 Gl wagon 5 spd, d/r wagon with an EA82 engine.

Here is how I found her: she sat here for 2 years. The owner said she had a bad rod knock.

de603bde.jpg

f8495017.jpg

So after we got here home and started her up, we confirmed it did have a bad rod. John had a nice 82 short block to swap in, so we began the swap.

On the way home

11f1972f.jpg

In the garage

c2d0202d.jpg

the blown engine

700d888c.jpg

The removal

IMG_1280.jpg

The new short block

IMG_1281.jpg

The intake I cleaned up for John(Alleyboy) de-emissioned of course.

IMG_1284.jpg

The new engine ready to go

IMG_1285.jpg

After the engine hoist took a poo, we had to muscle in the new engine. Here it sits all bolted up tothe tranny.

IMG_1287.jpg

Almost ready...

IMG_1288.jpg

After 7 hours of work, the new engine purring like a kitten. The cops came and made us shut it down because it was to loud. We didnt put plates over the EGR pipe holes on the head due to time restraints.

IMG_1289.jpg

Upon further inspection, the car has a bad wheel cylinder in the rear(disc brake conversion soon), and it idles really high. I am not sure why so if someone can shed some light on that that would be nice.

She idles about 2k. There is only 1 vacume hose going to the carb, so I think maybe the carb needs another hose hooked up somewhere to make the low idle circut work. Any help from those who have de-emissioned cars would be nice. The PCV system isnt hooked up yet, could that be the problem? All of the vacume ports, and EGR valve have plugs, so I know it doesnt have a vacume leak. I ma thinking we just need to hook a few lines in the right spot to make the high idle kick down.

Thanks.

Excellent pix and write-up Jason!!

I've had some bad luck with recent projects, but this one is definitely looking like a winner so far. As Jason said, we threw this one together in a hurry, with only a couple of minor detours. It was buried in the field in the morning, in the garage by noon, and pissing off my neighbors by bedtime!!

From the I'm kinda surprised it ran as smoothly as it did - given the extent of the mods. No "check engine" or "EGR" lights whatsoever!! We ran out of time to tune it properly, but it ran amazingly smooth, and had strong vitals -judging by the factory guages.

I also suspect the choke system as being responsble for the high idle. Shouldn't be hard to narrow down after double checking all the cap-offs, and sealing off any remaining exhaust/vacuum ports.

Many thanks to Jason and Jim for busting some serious rump roast, and getting things done.

John

If I'm not mistaken, you said that the short block was from an 82. So I'm wondering how you got an ea81 short block to go where an ea 82 had been so easily....
That got me thinking. I decided after looking at the photos he meant ea82, not 1982.

The motor we used was an "EA82" out of another '87.

The removal/installation wasn't bad at all - even without the use of a crane. The most time consuming part was prepping the motor for installation. We had to improvise with what we had laying around, and fortunately, there was enough there to piece it all together. We also lucked out in that, the seals and pumps were holding up well, and didn't need servicing before installing the motor.

Again, I'm very surprised that it ran so well with so much stripped away. Never would have thought so in an ECU equipped vehicle. Jason was absolutely correct!!

When we nail it down, I'll document the intake and carb setup, timing, additional parts needed, etc, so it can be duplicated again.

John

Great Pics & write up.

The engine looks great, wish my engine looked that good.

Thanks, we were wanting to continue to paint the alt brackets, and ps stuff, but I really wanted to get her running that night. We only had about 12 hours to get the car, build the engine, and drop it in.

I think with a little more paint and some fabbed brackets to hold the wires and stuff, itl look pretty mean.