Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cost of CV Joint & wheel bearing replacement

Hi,

My '96 Legacy L is being checked out by a (very good) sube mechanic. Told me yesterday that the drivers-side CV joint up front & right rear wheel bearing were looking worn and needed replacement.

He didn't give me an estimate yet, just wondering how much those jobs cost for R&R.. I'm not sure if he's planning on using rebuilt vs. new parts.

I trust him, he's got a great rep, but i'd just like to get some confirmation b4 I go ahead.

Thanks

Thats about right, though my axle cost 99.00. The one red heering in this is the hub itself. I think when we did the wheel bearing (it felll apart as it was taken off the car) the hub was shot too. That was i think 100.00 from subaru. I would recomend having all the front wheel bearings done at once if you can afford it.

nipper

• 6 years later...

How can you tell if the sound coming from the drivers side front is the wheel bearing or if it is the outer CV joint? I get a grinding sorta sound when turning and going slowly sometimes. I can make the sound go away by turning the wheel a little.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

2000 Legacy Outback Limited

Jeremy