Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny swap Q's

long version: I'm doing a clutch replacement job on my '88 high-mileage (225k) wagon, and just recently stripped a low-mileage (140k) but rusted out '85 wagon. both EA82's. well, the '88's synchros aren't very good, and the '85's are, so I thought I'd swap the trannies, I lowered the one out, and rolled it out next to the "new" one, and found some differences. I know it'll bolt up, it's exactly the same in that aspect, but there are a couple electrical connections that the '85 doesn't have.

short version: tranny swap....'85 EA82 D/R 5-speed into '88, same setup....different electrical stuff.

passenger side: right next to 4WD linkage, 2-wire connection....I assume for the lo-range indicator, as the '85 had a little switch on the handle that the '88 doesn't

3242PICT1930.JPG

driver side: next to the regular 5-speed linkage, another 2-wire connection, this one's a mystery to me

3242PICT1933-med.JPG

I don't think it's anything to worry about, but it's gotta do something! am I gonna regret it if I just don't do anything with those 2 plugs? I have the 4WD linkage from the '85, if I swap it over and splice the switch into the plug on the '88 wiring harness, will my lo range indicator work?

Well, if nobody knows we'll know soon, it's bolted up (did the 'tighten the pressure plate through the starter hole' trick, since the alignment tool they gave me was wrong), I'll be messing with the wiring/linkage tomorrow and hopefully try 'er out tomorrow night, or friday morning!

one should be for the "4wd" switch and the other will be for the "hi/low" switch. You are correct for the '85 having the switch on the shift linkage inside the cab whereas the '88 has the switch (actually 2) in the tranny. If you can get a wiring diagram of the tranny, it should help you out a lot on figuring out where they go and how to wire them up.

I did it...worked fine, swapped linkage too and wired the linkage switch into the harness where the other plug was, and sure enough, all indicators work now, and backup lights...don't know what the fourth one was, but the wires are just hanging there, and as far as I can tell, nothing was affected!