Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cylinder Wear

Speaking of cylinder wear... I was at my local jy the other day and noticed 2 or 3 EA82 engines that the heads had been scavenged off of. Just out of curiousity I ran my fingernail across the top of the cylinders to see how much of a ridge was worn into them. All of them that I checked had barely, if any noticeable ridge and the odo in the cars that I checked were over 100k. Granted, that doesn't mean they were the original engines, but I was still surprised to find so little wear. Is that normal for EA82s? I haven't torn one down that far yet. I've worked on a few Fords and Chevys though and it's not unusual to have a very noticeable ridge (.005" - .015" give or take) on one of those with that many miles on it.

What kind of price range would a new set of rings fall into? Inexpensive, but not crappy ones. Any recommendations?

I have serious plans to rebuild the block - bored, forged pistons, metal HG's, and studs in the future. I was hoping the block would hold out with the new reseal and pumps I am giving it.

:banghead: I knew I should have done a compression test before I tore it down.

If you plan on beefing up the block it would make sense to get the better rings for it too. I would start looking at some internet sites (theres a few for Soobs, cant recall tho) and see what the prices are for some good rings.

Stretch, this is common for most Subaru engines. You wont see significant wear until they get over 200K. Unless they were used and abused, like lack of oil changes, etc.

If you plan on beefing up the block it would make sense to get the better rings for it too. I would start looking at some internet sites (theres a few for Soobs, cant recall tho) and see what the prices are for some good rings.

Stretch, this is common for most Subaru engines. You wont see significant wear until they get over 200K. Unless they were used and abused, like lack of oil changes, etc.

Yeah, new rings are on the list for the beefed block.

Engine has about 220K miles on it. I've had it for about 50K of them. I don't know of the maintainence before that. It came from an "older" person in WA.

What I want to know is whether or not the block in its current condition will last another 50-100K. Pretty much everything else is getting replaced.

Well, if theres that much scoring in the cylinders you can just about bet that the main bearings are not looking good either.

If you want to build the engine, start from the bottom and work up.

Ok, after re-reading your last post I think I understand what you are asking. Yes, the block should be fine. After honing and new parts it should be good to go.

Speaking of cylinder wear...

With cylinder liners, the manufacturer can select a material with optimal wear characteristics for the application. With cylinders that are native block material, it is a real compromise biased towards block structural strength instead of wear properties.

Speaking of cylinder wear... I was at my local jy the other day and noticed 2 or 3 EA82 engines that the heads had been scavenged off of. Just out of curiousity I ran my fingernail across the top of the cylinders to see how much of a ridge was worn into them. All of them that I checked had barely, if any noticeable ridge and the odo in the cars that I checked were over 100k. Granted, that doesn't mean they were the original engines, but I was still surprised to find so little wear. Is that normal for EA82s? I haven't torn one down that far yet. I've worked on a few Fords and Chevys though and it's not unusual to have a very noticeable ridge (.005" - .015" give or take) on one of those with that many miles on it.

From the few EA82s I've had apart, that appears normal. I've been able to CLEARLY see the honing marks on engines with 140k and even 205k. The bottom ends on these engines just don't wear very fast. If you could keep heads on an EA82, it would run forever.