Ultimate Subaru Message Board

there are several ways to do this.

if your just trying to clen out the lower end of the motor(everywhere oil gos) put 1/3 to 1/2 can in the oil and then run it for a while to alow to work.

if your trying to clean the combustion chamber pull the vac line on the brake boster then pore it in the line, carfull not to flood the motor once it starts smoking good out the exhost then shut the car off(shouldbe done when car is worm) let set a few miniutes and then go out and drive the car it will blow white smoke out (just he sea foam) but will clean everthing up nice. ive heard its kinda hard on o2 sencors so be worned. ive never had problems. this is just the way ive used it read the can and decide from there.

ive had good results especialy with older ea82 cars cleaned up the hydro lifter tap about 1/2 of the time...

Best way to do the top end is to warm up the engine, remove the vacuum hose from the brake booster, then pour 1/3 of a can of Seafoam into a small, clean container (like an empty yogurt cup). With the motor running dip the hose into the juice--it'll suck right in. It can tend to stall out the engine so you might have to work the throttle cable a bit to keep it running.

When the cup is empty shut the motor off and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then start her up and enjoy the show!

I also put about 1/3 of a can in the fuel tank too.

By the way--in my opinion you don't have to time this to an oil change. Upper cylinder cleaning has no effect on your oil. Others may disagree so make your own decision.

As far as using it in your crankcase, I've never done that. And probably never will--I just have this thing about not adulterating the oil.

Good luck . . . and have fun!

What are those small hoses called that are just after the Throttle Body on the intake manifold? I use them, and put a full can through it. . .

The picture I had seen was using the biggest of the three hoses behind the TB. Would like to know for sure what will distribute evenly. TIA.

yeah, the best bet is either through the throttle body or the pcv valve. i reccomend not usuing more than 1/2 of a can through the intake and no more than one can per 3000 miles. it is sensor safe, but if you use it too often, it can be damaging.i sell that stuff every day and swear by it.

I also used a small line right by the throttle body. I found I had to rev the motor just slightly to get it to suck well but it worked just fine. I put the other half of the can in the oil and I put a full can in the gas tank. I still have intermittent pinging problems with 87 octane in the summer heat (with 126000mi) but now the car idles about 250-300rpm lower and very smooth.

I'm considering another treatment to cure the pinging, what do you guys think?

Andy

That small hose after the throttle body is the canister purge line.

My reasoning for not using it is because on the older throttle bodies there is some form of black goo around the throttle plate. I've been told it helps reduce carbon deposits, but I can attest it also helps seal the throttle plate. On the older TB's there was a bypass needle valve. When I got rid of the black goo, the car idled extremly high. I didn't notice the screw until I checked evrything. I screwed the screw down a little, and everything was fine.

On the throttle bodies without the screw, you'd probably be ok if you got rid of the stuff....but for me.....I'm rather wary about touching that stuff. So I'll use the PCV valve.

That small hose after the throttle body is the canister purge line.

My reasoning for not using it is because on the older throttle bodies there is some form of black goo around the throttle plate. I've been told it helps reduce carbon deposits, but I can attest it also helps seal the throttle plate. On the older TB's there was a bypass needle valve. When I got rid of the black goo, the car idled extremly high. I didn't notice the screw until I checked evrything. I screwed the screw down a little, and everything was fine.

On the throttle bodies without the screw, you'd probably be ok if you got rid of the stuff....but for me.....I'm rather wary about touching that stuff. So I'll use the PCV valve.

How are you using the PCV Valve? Heads?

How are you using the PCV Valve? Heads?

I pull the hose off the pcv valve and lower vent line. I put the hose back on the pcv valve but upside down. Pour a little bit of seafoam in the hose, then put my finger over the end of it so the pcv valve opens and sucks in the seafoam.

• 4 weeks later...

I let the engine go cold over the past several hours.

A couple of things I immediately noticed.

1.) Turned over IMMEDIATELY. Wasn't a prob starting before, but took a couple of cranks instead of 1/2-1 crank.

2.) Piston slap noise is about 60-80% quieter than what it was, and is undetectable after about a block!!!

Lastly, runs all around quieter and smoother.

To Legacy 777:

I used the big hose behind throttle body (brake booster?) because that looked like it hit all the cylinders. I also used some with your method to be certain I covered all bases. However, on my 2.5 the PCV is situated on the LH side of the engine. Seems like that would not hit all the cylinders. What am I missing? I would like to understand this so I can be confident in one method in the future. Thanks in advance.

I let the engine go cold over the past several hours.

A couple of things I immediately noticed.

1.) Turned over IMMEDIATELY. Wasn't a prob starting before, but took a couple of cranks instead of 1/2-1 crank.

2.) Piston slap noise is about 60-80% quieter than what it was, and is undetectable after about a block!!!

Lastly, runs all around quieter and smoother.

To Legacy 777:

I used the big hose behind throttle body (brake booster?) because that looked like it hit all the cylinders. I also used some with your method to be certain I covered all bases. However, on my 2.5 the PCV is situated on the LH side of the engine. Seems like that would not hit all the cylinders. What am I missing? I would like to understand this so I can be confident in one method in the future. Thanks in advance.

The PCV valve and brake booster ports may be in different spots. Use whatever port is more central.

A picture would be great!

Do most autoparts stores have it?

Here ya go. This is of a 2.5.

Here's the top view. After reviewing the intake manifold service procedure, I realized that the hose I used is NOT the brake booster, but have yet to have it named, so feel free to inform me. TIA.

Top-Hoses.jpg

View from left side and pull locations:

Seafoam-Hose-Locs-Side.jpg

Looked the same on my '97 EJ22 with 4EAT? I used teh small vac hose in the middle of the TB and the seafoam sucked right in just fater idle!

Worked good but I recomend the FULL dose or the effect is short lived. My CEL also came on but I had Autozone shut it off for FREE!