Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More vacuum hose questions... (pics)

Ok I'm wondering if a couple of my vacuum hoses are connected correctly. Here are pics. Thanks.

1. First off is the EGR hose, is this where it goes?

EGR.jpg

2. This long hose is by the EGR valve. Does it go where the red circle is?

Redhose.jpg

3. These are in the front lower part of the carb. Which of these hoses goes back to the EGR valve?

4hoses.jpg

4. And lastly, this small hose is coming out of the carb, where does it connect to? I know its supposed to be longer but I cut it off cuz I wasnt sure where it goes.. Thanks guys...

Smallhose.jpg

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, I sold my '85 last fall (and every time I took it apart, I seemed to end up with more extra vacuum hoses...). If you're ever near Denver, there's a shop in Nederland who is great at keeping old subies running -- he got an extra year out of mine at least. Short of that, I don't know what to do -- just plug the ends of any errant hoses or barbs so they don't create leaks, and see if it runs okay I guess. Thats usually what I did.

Uugggh is right. I forgot that Spokane county has emissions testing -- we were in Stevens county so we didn't have to test. I forget, does the chiltons have a vacuum diagram for that cabureator? If it is running, and looks like everything is connected, can you just take it in for the test and see if it passes -- mine passed in Denver pretty easily, even though it didn't run quite right, because I think most of the screwed up stuff was related to cold starting, not after it was warmed up. It's a gamble, but you might pass and not have to figure it out for another year...

#1: same on mine.

#2: same on mine from what I can see, after the "T" fitting one end goes to a metal line near the carb and the other runs towards the fender and runs the heater controls.

#3: Not sure if any of them do, I think those and the egr line are coming out from underneath the manifold seperately? I Don't really know.

#4: Can't help you there either, must be another california thing, my carb doesn't have a line there.

I would take some pics but my cat decided she liked the taste of flash memory cards! :rolleyes:

Hey thanks guys.. haha bad cat. Does she have a better memory now? Ha. Well I found out what was causing my surging and sputtering while driving, it was a hose in the back of the carb, i took it out and plugged the lines and wow what a difference. It actually has power now and smooth too. I'll take a pic of it today. I also unplugged my EGR too. It wasnt opening anyways unless i plugged it to a different vacuum line and then it would be open ALL the time. :) Anyways I just hope it runs ok now. Thanks.

Hey Camel, funny thing, I just pulled off my air cleaner to get a better look and I DO have that nozzle on my carb (your pic #4) I couldn't see it because someone put a plug on it. I also just noticed that I have a plug on one of those metal lines under the manifold too (pic #3), I almost thought maybe they should be connected but I don't know for sure. I wish there was a pictoral diagram for the vacuum hose routing, those schematics don't help me much.

The other thing is my EGR doesn't seem to work either! I put my finger over the hose and felt it at idle and WOT at both cold and warmed up temps and it never had any vacuum applied, so that means my egr isn't doing anything either. Just when I thought I had this engine figured out!:banghead:

I also just realized I do have one of those thermal vacuum sensor things like you have on top of your water outlet, mine is just sort of down and next to it, I can't believe I never noticed it! Anyway, I believe that on my mustang those sensors controlled vacuum supply to the egr valve. And I bet it might on these subies too. Because on my car the hoses from that sensor go to a couple of those metal lines in pic #3, so I bet one of those does go over to the egr valve. May just be that that sensor is bad or something, I don't even know how I'd go about testing it.

But I bet you anything that if your egr isn't working then that's why you have high HC's in your emissions tests, I think the EGR is supposed to help burn the extra HC's that don't get burned the first time by sucking them in for a second pass through the combustion chamber.

Hey 85, ya i noticed at the junkyard, that the pic#4 nozzle is plugged on all of them so i plugged it on mine too.

I tested the egr by putting a different vacuum hose to it and that opened it up all the time and thats how i did one of my emissons tests but it still didnt help so i just plugged the egr completely. Very weird.

So is it the thermosensor on top of the thermostat that you're talking about? Doesnt that read the temp of the engine and goes to the temp gauge on the dash? On most cars thats what it does, not sure on this tho. I'll look around the sensor a bit more and see where the hose goes to.

Thanks man... the ongoing dilema of our cars huh?

Not the gauge sender but a thermosensor that opens up and allows vacuum to flow (or not flow) when the engine temp gets to a set point.

Nevermind anyway, I searched and found your post that had that pic and it's not the thing I was thinking it was. Your's has wires, probably a feedback sensor for the computer or something.

Hey, tried my flash card again, and it must have just needed to dry out or something. Here's a pic of what I was talking about: It's circled in red.

blarg.jpg

You can see the plugged line I was talking about circled in green, is yours plugged too? Something else I noticed is that all those metal lines have little sections of rubber line connecting them all together in a big maze of tubes.

The temp sensor on mine is just rear of the water outlet, it's bolted into the manifold, and has a single amber colored wire with a spade connector. It's just like the oil pressure sender's wire and should be wrapped up with it.

Oh, and just a thought but since you're in WA, I assume that most of the junk yard cars there are federal-spec emissions, so a California-spec car might use that plugged port on the carb, I don't know for sure, but it'd explain why there was a hose on it.