Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help ASAP *in garage now! Please*

iluvdrt

OK, I was doing a basic dizzy tune up (rotor cap) and some plugs (EA82T).

Now it wont start. I compared all of the parts to the originals, and they match. I have checked spark, and it has it, I got the fireing order 1324 rotating counterclock wise (looking at it) with the number one just to the right of the screw, timing was never messed with...HOWEVER... I did notice the TPS was loose and I bumped it. Although I dont think that would make it not start, I tried to position it back in the middle.

I also changed the coolant temp sensor.

What could make it not start? I did clean the throttle out with some cleaner, could it be flooded? I only put like a few short squirts. Even if it was, I have been cranking on it for about 45 min(not continuously), I would think that would clear it out.

All of the injectors are hooked up, it basically sounds like it isnt fireing, unless I mix up the plug wires, than it sounds like it is, but it doesnt run(obviously).

Thanks to whom ever can help, I am in the garage right now, with my wife calling me to get home. I need help. God I feel like such a tard.

Make sure that the coolent temp sensor wire is on correctly.

Check to make sure that you installed the Idle Air Control tube.

Double check your ignition wires.

Check your throttle position sensor for the closed signal when the throttle plate is closed.

i would double and triple check the wires are properly hooked up. front passengers side plug is #1 - #3 is behind that. front drivers side plug is #2, behind that (closest to the distributor) is #4.

check for spark out of each plug coming from the distributor cap.

in my experience the TPS can affect starting as i've had one cut off before while adjusting the TPS "by ear". the factory service manual for adjusting the TPS to spec is not right, so you have to do it by ear. basically if you turn the TPS all the way one direction i think (it's been a while though), i think it will idle high. keep backing the TPS down and it will gradually lower the RPM....keep turning it slowly until it's just about to cutoff, then nudge it up just a pinch.

OR - alternately if you bumped your existing TPS - just look for the marks on the throttle body....you should be able to see orginal dust/dirty lines from where the TPS sat installed for years. that should get you close enough.

the coolant temp sensor can keep it from starting too. the sensors almost never go bad (i've never heard of a confirmed instance of one going bad, though people replace them all the time). it's the connections getting corroded that causes the problem. replacing the sensor gives you new contacts, but that is only half the problem....the connector that plugs into the sensor would also be corroded and dirty if that was the original problem. that being said - check that connection and make sure the contacts (sensor side AND wiring harness side) are clean. this probably is not your problem, unless you're seeing a Check Engine light. although i had one instance about 10 years ago of a coolant temp sensor connection causing a no start without any CE light for some reason.

Yes, the screw is there. all of the hoses are hooked up, I never removed any except the pcv hose, and its good.

Will the coolant sensor wire go on either way, and will it affect the sensing properties?

I will keep messing with the TPS. It started a minute ago, but floored barely ran, when I jumped out to grab the throttle cable real fast it died. Hasnt started since.

When I did change the sensor I did shoot some cleaner into the socket for the sensor to clean it out. Do you think may have some thing to do with it?