Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hmmm, rx engine woes

well, let see, i just resealed the engine from the head gaskets up and even put in a new oil pan gasket, problem is, its still leaks oil from the oil pan.

on top of that, the ecs light keeps popping up when i let off the gas and the car tries to stumble. it sometimes happens when accelerating too. it feels like bad clutch work, except for the fact that i can drive a stick.

any idea how i can stop the oil leak without taking the pan off again??

also, i need to figure out what the issues is with the engine.

grrr, why is it that when ever i fix one thing, something always breaks?

wow, I'm assuming all of the old pan gasket was removed and the surfaces were cleaned with carb cleaner or something before installing the new gasket with Gaskasinch or something???

Is there a possibility that your crankcase is pressurizing? Any mods done to the PCV system? Sounds like pressure is building up big time in there. You could disconnect the driver side cam cover vent tube and plug the hose but leave the cam cover open to atmosphere and see if it has the same symptoms? Just a thought.

actually, im not having any blow by symptoms. the breather lines are dry, for once. the last engine had massive blow bay issues. well, the blown piston didnt help that any. this one is running strong once its up to temp, but its like it doesnt like running at lower rpm under load, but its not a constant problem, once the ecs lights up, if i rev it a little bit, it tends to go out and run properly agian.

i also ran into a nasty hot start problem, like it wont start unlessi let it cool off for a while.

kinda seems like vapor lock orsomething like that. the oil pan gasket seems to be leaking all the way around like it did before i replaced it, but the old gasket was dry rotted. i did thoroughly clean the pan and block where the gasket went, and also used rtv all the way around.

as for the hot starts, when it does start, if i dont rev it a few times, it stalls almost immediatly. once i get it to idle properly, its fine though. it still has lots of power when its running right, its fast even at stock boost. it just seems that its not enjoying running at lower rpms. i need to have some one help me document it, but there isnt anyone knowlegable close to me. i know this car bolt by bolt, but these issues are messing with me.

i am wondering if the fact that the guys that did my exhasut didnt put in an o2 sensor might be part of the problem, but then again, its more than just bad milage.

i dont really know right now, and being tired isnt helping anything.

wow, I'm assuming all of the old pan gasket was removed and the surfaces were cleaned with carb cleaner or something before installing the new gasket with Gaskasinch or something???

Is there a possibility that your crankcase is pressurizing? Any mods done to the PCV system? Sounds like pressure is building up big time in there. You could disconnect the driver side cam cover vent tube and plug the hose but leave the cam cover open to atmosphere and see if it has the same symptoms? Just a thought.

i used a fel-pro gasket, by far the best aftermarket manufacturer of gaskets, their head gaskets are some of the best ive seen.ive never had any issues with their products. besides, i work at an auto parts store, i sell fel-pro products everyday. nevr once has anyone complained about the quality of their product.

What's the gasket made out of? If it's that chunky-looking cork material, throw it away and get an OEM one.

What kind of sealer did you use on it? I've found the best stuff to be Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker, but the Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket is a close second and is generally easier to remove again if the need arises.

hmmm, yeah, it is a cork gasket, thats what was on the old pan, but it didnt ever leaki till i transfered it to the current engine, the previous engine was the one that blew a piston.

hmmm, ive never had issues with cork gaskets. but im going to go talk to my friend that runs a subaru garage.. se what he thinks.

I never use the cork gaskets espc for the oil pan, I think they suck, espc cleaning, I use the ultra-grey rtv, have always used it no "cut" gasket needed, you just need to make sure its clean on both sides though, brake clean (not carb) works wonders, leaves no residue, my buddy at suby told me they dont use the gaskets anymore, its the same stuff used on the cam cases.

yeah, i thoroughly cleaned the mating surfaces with a razor blade and brake clean. i used to be a mechanic, ive replaced pan gaskets before, none had leaked. but this one is leaking all the way around. even with a thick layer of red high temp rtv sealant/ gasket maker.

i think the other issue is from the coolant temp sensor. the ecu thinks the car is cold under hot start conditions, thus it floods out when its hot. i am going to check the sensor connections. if it is dead, il get a new one at work, i think its like $15.

i also need to get an o2 sensor bung welded into the down pipe so that i can get an o2 sensor in it. im hoping that will help out with the milage im getting, right now, i think its getting less than 20mpg.

its starting to act like a 20 year old car. but i think it should be able to to be corrected soon, just gotta take the time to fix it all. granted, i might let a shop do the oil pan gasket cuase i dont want to do that again.

I can understand that, I just resealed an engine for mine from the block out, its not fun "in" the car.....im just curious as to why thats goin on with yours, I had a broken bolt on mine and the ultra grey held up fine, if it was a pressure issue, i would think you would have that issue in more areas than the pan (god forbid the rear main) mabye theres something up with the pan?, was it doing this as well before you went to change it?....its funny i used to be a mechanic too at subby of all places

I can understand that, I just resealed an engine for mine from the block out, its not fun "in" the car.....im just curious as to why thats goin on with yours, I had a broken bolt on mine and the ultra grey held up fine, if it was a pressure issue, i would think you would have that issue in more areas than the pan (god forbid the rear main) mabye theres something up with the pan?, was it doing this as well before you went to change it?....its funny i used to be a mechanic too at subby of all places

the pan was leaking before i changed the gasket, but thats cause i didnt put in a new gasket when i swapped it from my last engine, it wasnt leaking on that engine though. i think that th pan might be warped or in need of replacment. either way, as long as it doesnt run outta oil, i should be fine. the next thing i need to figure out is whether or not the hair line cracks in the heads are leaking coolant, maybe ill get lucky and the tiny bit of coolant thats drained from the resivior was just from air in the system, granted, its not over heating at all. nor am i having any issues caused by running too hot, well, with the exception of the hot start issues, but thats a different story.

not sure why, but the rx isnt happy today, it rean great yesterday, but when i went to pull it into the driveway today, it was sputtering hard and stalling out. popped the hood and noticed that the intake hose popped off behind the maf. i also noticed a bit of steam from the tail pipe and think that the cracks i noticed in the heads might have opened up enough to leak cooland or pressurized the cooling system. i think i might have better luck with the engine i got from scrapdaddy. its weird though, it runs great like every other day, but then it has annoying issues like this where its almost undrivable.

my real issue is that i dont have a garage or an engine hoist available to me.

im starting to think that the rx wasnt meant to be driven sometimes. either that or its bi-polar. its also the reason that i cant quit smoking, everytime i try to quit, something breaks, streses me out and i need another smoke.

eh, maybe its just a fluke, maybe the car is just having a hickup. perhaps ill get luckey and the car might fix itself, probably not though.

well, i added some coolant stop leak, the coolant level hasnt gone down after that, and the rx is running a lot better. i am not sure if thats the stop leak, or just my luck. i took the car out on a bunch of back roads and gravel roads. that car is still amazing on gravel. i noticed that its still got a slight misfire, nothing constant really, new plugs should fix that, was going to do it today, but not the car is a little toasty for that.

the only real problem is that i lost the cap for the coolant resivior, no idea where either, i kinda f0rgot to put it back on earlier, its probably up i the hills somewhere.

doesnt look like i had any leakage from that though.

no i jsut gotta stop the oil leak in the pan and hope that the staling doesnt occur again.

eh, i still gotta do a couple little tune up things to work towards this week.

i also need to get an o2 sensor bung welded into the down pipe so that i can get an o2 sensor in it. im hoping that will help out with the milage im getting, right now, i think its getting less than 20mpg.

you still have the stock dp right? what happened to the factory port for the o2 sensor?

you still have the stock dp right? what happened to the factory port for the o2 sensor?

cmon, john, pay attention, ive told you that the rx has a 2.5" TURBO back exhaust.

so, no, i dont have the stock down pipe. my exhaust is all a single peice after the turbo. its kinda annoying. especially now that i want to change out the muffler to someting a little more sporty.

illprobably get that dont when i get the 02 sensor put in.

i might also look to see how hard making an adaptor for the td04 would be om my wallet.

i just hope the rx decides to play nice.

well, took the rx out again, no problems at all, no hickups, nothing. just ran like its nearly new, still probably has the oil leak, i havent looked under the car yet though. its been startingup just fine after running and when it starts, it doesnt sputter and try to stall.

i am thinking the radiator stop leak stuff might be what did the trick, it was still loosing some coolant the other day, im thinking that it might be the cause of the rough running, i added in a bottle of bars leaks and the coolant level hasnt gone down anymore, and its not running like crap anymore. now i just need to get htat damn oil pan to stop leaking.

any suggestions other than taking the engine out and getting a new pan and or gasket..?

well, took the rx out again, no problems at all, no hickups, nothing. just ran like its nearly new, still probably has the oil leak, i havent looked under the car yet though. its been startingup just fine after running and when it starts, it doesnt sputter and try to stall.

i am thinking the radiator stop leak stuff might be what did the trick, it was still loosing some coolant the other day, im thinking that it might be the cause of the rough running, i added in a bottle of bars leaks and the coolant level hasnt gone down anymore, and its not running like crap anymore. now i just need to get htat damn oil pan to stop leaking.

any suggestions other than taking the engine out and getting a new pan and or gasket..?

yes.

check the oil before you start the engine EVERYTIME. otherwise you really will need a new engine.

this is news to me! anyway, you need to bring that thing up here for an intake! the mountains are calling too :brow:

what you got going on sunday?

i need to get a bunch of little things dont to the car just as tune up stuffs.

i gotta get my muffler changed out, get the o2 sensor bung welded in, spark blugs, coolant tmep sensor(maybe) and just a few other little things. i should have sunday off if you want to meet up and roll up to your place.

probably going to be in the garage cleanin stuff up. i need to change oil and rotate tires on the wrx and the buggy some time this weekend.

that stuff take like thirty minutes per car, even less if you use air tools. even less with an actual lift.

im pretty sure i have tomarow off, want a hand with that stuffs, i wouldnt mind seeing the buggy finally, maybe we could figure out some stuffs for the rx as well...

give me a call this afternoon, we can hammer things out and see whats going down.